cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible cause if you see system failure for RFC - "can be called in same system only"

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As part of setting up My Inbox at a new customer, I ran into an issue with the RFC to get Workflow Items from the back-end (hub deployment). The error was:

"RFC call was not successful because of system failure 'RFC /IWWRK/WF_TGW_QUERY_TASKS can be called in same system only'."

Note - No dump on any system happens (because in Gateway, it catches the system error).

No search really found anything on SCN, so I thought I would just highlight the issue at this customer for other people to be aware of.

So if you're a good secure customer, you have probably implemented RFC protection using the Universal Connectivity solution (UConn for short I believe).  And guess what, with this software you decide which RFC's can be called from a system, and which RFC's are allowed to be called on a system.

In our case, the error was actually in ERP, hence the message is misleading but if you then add the required RFC's to the whitelist - hey presto - we have a working Inbox. Note - You can see the whitelist errors in SM21.

Cheers,

Matt

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

good share. I can imagine between UCONN and SM59 RFC whitelist/call back that some of this security configuration errors will confuse people.

The additional layers of security are forcing Functional, Development and other teams to provide their requirements to the System Admin and Security teams as RFC connections are becoming less open-ended (Which is a good thing).

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Colleen,

True about the good thing, though bad that there's no ucon error messages published online to guide you on RFC errors that mysteriously occur when you've never worked with it before. Just found out a 2nd issue was also caused by UConn (a new RFC that Gateway has started using for checking dates) - plus I'm sure there's more.

BTW - Did check the whitelist in sm59 but that wasn't really applicable in this case. (still news to me about this (good) functionality).

Cheers,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for taking the time to share Matt.