cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UI add-on 2.0 and UI5 libraries requirements

0 Kudos

Hi, I want to upgrade the SAP_UI libraries. We are currently using a SAPNW 7.4 Gateway server with SAP_UI 7.4 SP12 and SAPUI5 libraries on 1.28.21.

I would like to upgrade the SAPUI5 libraries to 1.3x.x versions and have seen that we should move to UI Add-on 2.0 which implies upgrading to SAP_UI 7.5 as per note "2217489 - Maintenance and Update Strategy for UI Add-On and User Interface Technology". I´ve also seen the help portal for "User Interface Add-On 2.0 for SAP NetWeaver".

I´ve read the notes mentioned and related ones regarding the requirements and implications over the Gateway server. Everything looked ok to upgrade the UI libraries.

On further research, I´ve come up with a note that mentions minimal installation requirements for the SAP_UI 7.50 which indicates some pre-requisites over the back-end system (note "2227501 - SAP_UI 7.50 minimal installation requirements"). This note mentions back-end should be NW 7.4 at a minimum.

Our back-end system is a NW 7.0.

Strange thing is that I haven´t found this note neither starting from the help portal nor the central notes for the UI add-on 2.0 nor related ones.

I would like to confirm if it is possible to upgrade the SAP_UI component of the Gateway system maintaining the current back-end or if in order to move to SAPUI5 1.3x libraries it is mandatory to use a 7.4 NW system as stated in the note.

Could the note be wrong and talking about the Gateway minimum requirements?

I´m really confused on why there exists such a requirement for the back-end system. Is there a dependency over the IW_BEP component? or is there another component that should be installed on the back-end?. Why would oData services be affected by this upgrade?

I would appreciate any clarification on this.

Here´s an extract of our current landscape.

Thanks

Leandro

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Thanks Masa/Tejas. Actually my problem is that I´m trying to stay updated with the UI5 libraries as I've seen that this is evolving very fast and there is new functionality or libraries with the newer versions. In fact, when I went to update the libraries, I found note "2217489 - Maintenance and Update Strategy for UI Add-On and User Interface Technology" which mentions the following:

"The maintenance phase for UI add-on 1.0 ends in Q3 2017. After this, it is necessary to update to UI add-on 2.0."

I was really concerned about the short support period and investigated more about the UI add-on 2.0, that is when I found the limitations which concerned me a little more.

Using HCP is an option for developing, but not for deploying as I would be working with newer libraries, which could not work in our gateway.

I know we are using an old back-end, but still can´t understand why there is a high dependency over the backend system having to upgrade to latest versions. Is this a must as FIORI wouldn´t work at all or there are just some limitations in functionality if backend is kept in lower releases?

I´m just trying to understand the scenario, being able to plan in advance which strategy the company should follow if we want to move forward using FIORI, which we have already started doing.

By the above looks like a migration is necessary/mandatory and this is not something you do from one day to another.

Thanks,

Oliver_S
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Leandro,

i dont fully understand your thoughts.

UI Add-on Maintenance Phase end in Q3/2017.

so its mandatory to update to UI Add-On 2.0.

This is an add-on which you install on top of your backend.

"backend" usually names you AS ABAP based system, which hosts your business logic.

E.g.: Backend: NW 7.03 based ERP + UI Addon 1.0 or 2.0

Please see also: https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-67584

The UI Add-on itself must be on defined Service Pack Stack level (all components same SPStack).

For mixing UI add-on with HCP I have no information. Where do you have this information "Using HCP is an option for developing...." from?  Is there a note number?

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

Hi Oliver, our landscape consists of a Gateway FES NW 7.4 where we have the UI and a back-end server NW 7.0 which holds the business logic, and so the oData services and the IW_BEP component. The UI is installed only in the Gateway server as I understand. My concern is why should there be a dependency on the back-end having to be NW 7.4 or higher. What changes on the back-end side pushed by the UI add-on 2.0? I may think that note 2227501 refers either to a single installation where the gateway is on the same backend server or it is simply wrong, meaning actually the FES, not the BES. The note may be refering the ABAP system where the UI libraries are installed as the back-end, generating the confusion, but just want to confirm I´m not missing something I don´t see.

My understanding is that I can upgrade the Gateway as necessary up to any level for the NW, the UI, etc without having dependency over any other system.

Regards,

Oliver_S
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

i think there could be a misunderstanding. The "backend" can be IMHO ~ any 7.x version. FES should be 7.40 or higher (SAP UI Technology component can be also 7.50 in 7.40 FES).

Gateway component SP in FES must compatible to GW Comp SP in FES.

If GW comp in backend cannot be updated independently from the rest of the backend SPS stack, the rest of NW AS ABAP has to have the same SPS as the Gateway SP.

thats the facts. Unfort. i am not a gateway geek, so i dont where the information is, which versions/SP of backend and FES fit together and/or if GW comp can be updated independently from other AS ABAP components. In general it should be sufficient to update only AS ABAP not the whole ERP.

maybe someone else can help.

0 Kudos

Thanks Oliver, it look clearer now. My understanding is same as yours in regard to "The "backend" can be IMHO ~ any 7.x version. FES should be 7.40 or higher (SAP UI Technology component can be also 7.50 in 7.40 FES)". In fact this is what I was trying to confirm.

On the other hand, I didn´t know about "Gateway component SP in FES must compatible to GW Comp SP in FES." (Ii think you meant back-end at the end). I didn´t know that IW_PGW component should be leveled between the FES and the back-end.

Is there anywhere I can confirm this statements?

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Leandro,

My understanding is that SAP_GWFND on the frontend server and IW_BEP on ERP should be same level.

Regards,

Masa / SAP Technology RIG

MattHarding
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

From my previous research a few months ago, SAP highly recommend they be on the same level but there's no hard dependency on this (though realistically, the hub should always be ahead of the backend).  e.g. Once HCI Odata Provisioning/GWaaS (or whatever it's called now) is fully available, that it will constantly be updated, and there's no way you will update SAP_GWFND on your ERP every month!

If SAP actually said they should be at the same level, I think you'd find you'd get a revolt from all customers with multiple backends (ERP, GRC, SRM), but Masa - if this is a hard requirement, someone should highlight this.

Anyway, that's my understanding.

Cheers,

Matt

0 Kudos

Hi, things are getting a little confusing I think. To put things clearer, we have a central hub installation, a Gateway server NW 7.4 (FES) whith SAP_GWFND 9, SAP_UI 12 (UI add-on 1.0) and IW_PGW 7 and a backend server NW 7.0 with IW_BEP 10 and IW_PGW 6 (can see complete landscape in original message).

I want to keep SAP_UI updated as recomended by SAP. UI add-on 2.0 (SAP UI 7.50) is the newest and 1.0 will be out of support by Q3 2017. Thus, I want to update my UI libraries on the Gateway server and want to know the requirements, depencies or restrictions.

My original understanding was that I can update the gateway server without needing to upgrade the backend (ass Matt said, this will affect many customers with different servers to connect to). Then I assumed I could keep my backend on 7.0 but happend to find note 2227501 which mentions that if you migrate to SAP UI 7.5, backend should be at least NW 7.4 (I THINK THIS IS WRONG, or I misunderstood something). I think this requirement is actually for the Gateway server where the UI is installed, not the back-end.

SAP_GWFND is only installed on the FES, and IW_BEP on the back-end.

IW_PGW is required on the Gateway server too. As I could find, is only required for Approve Requests app (and My Inbox), and not needed for any other app or service as per this post: Where to put IW_PGW component for Fiori in case... | SCN. Is this component really required on the back-end as well? I have the component at level 6 on the backend anyway, and at level 7 on the Gateway. Do I have to keep them at same level as Oliver suggested? Couldn´t find anything that indicates IW_PGW should be updated on the backend server. Is it really required there?

With all this, I need to confirm that I can upgrade the Gateway server to NW 7.5 (or keep it in 7.4) and install the UI 7.5 (UI add-on 2.0) without needing to upgrade NW for the backend.

Thanks,

Leandro

Oliver_S
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

ok,

i think the missunderstanding comes from "Gateway Server".

I personally prefer to talk about Front End Server FES which contains the frontend Gateway component SAP_GWFND needed on the FES.

Yes you can update your NW 7.40 FES with SAP UI TECHNOLOGY 7.50. (alternative SC).

SAP NW GW FOUNDATION 7.40 SP has to be the same SP as  SPS of NW AS ABAP 7.40 (SAP UI 7.50 can be any SP so far)

there is also dependency betweean FES NW GW FND 7.40 SP and your backend BES based on NW 7.00 gateway components IW_BEP and IW_PGW.

described in note 1942072   .

For SAP_GWFND 7.40 SP9 (which pretty old SP14 is current) this would be e.g. IW_BEP 200 SP9 and IW_PGW 100 SP06. but it increases if you increase FES GW SP.

Required Minimum SPS for your backend NW 7.00 AS ABAP SPS should remain to be SP18 according to my Solution Manager (dont know a note where this is also described).

I cannot comment about IW_PGW need on the BES. If Fiori is you only reason to have GW for you, this should be described in Fiori installtion guide or landscape guide. or your solution manager should have the dependency.

0 Kudos

Thanks Oliver, this clears the picture a lot and confirms my understanding. I can update FES independently of the backend then (of course there are internal dependencies which represent no issue for us as this is only for FIORI and we can update all components as needed). All this issue started due to the statement in note 2227501 which I still think it´s either wrong or confusing.

Still couldn´t find the relationship with the IW_PGW component on the back-end. All I found refers to the component on the FES and only the IW_BEP component on the BEP.

Thanks,

Leandro

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Leandro,

My Inbox uses IW_PGW in the front end server.

Summary:

Frontend server: SAP_GWFND and IW_PGW

Backend server: IW_BEP

Compatibility matrix: 1942072 - SAP Gateway 2.0 Support Package Stack Definition

Regards,

0 Kudos

Thanks Masa, just one more thing, is there anywhere a matrix or relation between the FES components and the IW_BEP on the BES?

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Leandro,

Compatibility matrix: 1942072 - SAP Gateway 2.0 Support Package Stack Definition.

If the frontend has SAP_GWFND SP14, IW_BEP in the backend should be SP12.

Regards,

0 Kudos

Thanks Masa,

The note only mentions the requirements on the FES as it is included in the SPS, but although not stated, seems that it can be inferred that IW_BEP component should be at a minimum the same in back end servers.

Thanks all for the help and the information. It really helped me put all pieces together.

steven_pelser
Participant
0 Kudos

Question

On Your separate backend 70 system.. DId you install the Ui-addon 1.0 or 2.0 as well

Is this needed on the BES

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Leandro,

If your purpose is developing an app with the latest SAPUI5 library, you can use HCP: HANA Cloud Platform. http://hcp.sap.com.

What is your main usage?

Regards,

former_member182874
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leandro,

You can follow below thread for SP14 notes. I see the library version would be around 1.28.23. But this link should be helpful. For this you need to upgrade SAP_UI component from SP12 to Sp14 incrementally.

I see that you want to upgrade to 750. Backend should be 7.5 (recommended)

as per : 2227501

Reason and Prerequisites

Applicable for SAP NetWeaver 7.40 & 7.50 ABAP backends.

Regards,

Tejas