cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to use single Composite Script across multiple system clients(Target Systems) e.g. RegressionTest, ReleaseTest?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Requirement:-

I want to execute same composite script across different system clients(Target System) with different data.

We are using CBTA quite extensively and have already automated quite a large number of end to end test scripts.

Our system landscape for release is as follow-

Dev system-->Regression Test system (RT01)-->Release Test System (RX01)-->Production

We have developed all our CBTA scripts on "RT01" and now we want to use all of them for "RX01" executions also.

Test Data for "RT01" and "RX01" are different.

How to use same scripts across multiple clients with different test data?

Solution 1:-

So we have created two variats "RT01" and "RX01" which have respective test data for each scripts.

For example below mentioned are variants for one script->

VariantCompany CodeCustomer No.AddressPostal_Code
RT01CH01112233address 011001
RX01CH01998877Address 55552002

For individual script execution, i can change the variant and "Target System" and "Variant" in "Start Option" window and I can use same script on multiple clients.

• Issue-> But there is an issue with this approach. If I want to execute in batch there will be a problem.

When I want to execute through test plan, while test plan creation I can select the "Target system" at test plan level and not the variant.

I didn't find any option where I can select test cases for test plan creation based on Variants.

If anyone has used same scripts for multiple system clients having different test data through Test Plan, please share your view. 

Workaround:-

I already know the work around for this. I can create copies of same composite script for each system client with each having unique variant.

But this will cause duplication of scripts and will result into lot of scripts for each system Client.

Also effort to duplicate, maintain will be too much.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When in the SOLAR02 Business Blueprint, you can assign the specific variant on the testcase in the testcases tab. This would then be selectable separately based on the individual variant when creating the test plan based on the business blueprint.

So it is a matter of adding an extra line in the blueprint for each relevant variant.

(and, if not done, a matter of starting to use the blueprint )

Hope it helps,

Arjan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Arjan.

I agree that this can be one way to this.

But suppose I have 100s of test cases to be selected for test plan. For each test cases I need to check the Variant while selecting the test cases for Test Plan creation which makes the task Tedious.

I would still look for an option which required less efforts to do this.

I did not find any option where I can set filter based on Variants.

Regards,

Sachin Sawant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using the same Composite Script across Multiple system clients is indeed a best practice case. As suggested above, by Arjan, using distinct Test Cases for each of the system clients is a great idea.

In the TDC, follow a specific Naming convention for the Variants..

For example, variants for system RT01 may be named as RT01Var01, RT01Var02 and so on. Similarly, variants for system RX01 may be named as RX01Var01, RX01Var02......

Now in the Business Blue Print, on the Test Case tab, you can simply have 2 Distinct Test Cases for the Same Composite Script....

For Testing the RT01 System, the variant can be RT01* --> This will automatically include all TDC Variants for the RT01 system.

Similarly for the RX01 system, the variant can be RX01*.....

Regards

Rajesh