cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnostics for connection problems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

One of my customers has a number of busy SQLA 16 database on Windows x64 (one of the last SQLA builds are used). From time to time, an ADO.NET application is unable to connect to SQLA, no error message in any log, the connection appears to be stuck from the application point of view. From the database perspective, the connection just doesn't get established. It is interesting that at the same time the server doesn't suffer from any serious performance problem, statements from connections currently connected get executed quite fast.

The number of connections to the SQLA server may reach a number of hundreds and the application my request to open tens of connections in about the same time, in a "burst" (a business requirement).

Another point - the ADO.NET ConnectionTimeout (the default is 15 sec.) doesn't function in this specific case and my customer had to implement the timeout mechanism of its own.

My questions:

1. How would you diagnose such a problem? The connection just doesn't reach the SQLA Server (I could see it via request logs) and all other logs are clear. The problem cannot be reproduced on demand, but happens quite often.

2. Is it possible to simulate a connection timeout to SQLA server? I have not succeeded to find a way so far, the connection doesn't get stuck, I just receive "Server not found" message.

Thanks in advance

Leonid Gvirtz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

chris_keating
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Add LOG={file_spec} to the client connection string: i.e.,

Eng=MyEngName;DBN=MyDbName;...;Log=c:\my_conn_log.txt

This is a client connection diagnostic log.