cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no Mac version of NWDS (netweaver developer studio)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having a mac version only seems to be a plus for SAP, or am I wrong? If I'm running/want to run NWDS, I have to use a windows environment solely for this purpose. Is there no way to get this working on OS X?

And what is the reason that SAP chooses not to implement a version for OS X? Is it really that difficult to do?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Zakaria,

even if it would be technically possible ( like some users tried e.g.) it does not mean we can provide support, if porting to other OSs haven't been performed and no tests were executed either.

As also seen in that other old thread, there are native windows components (DLLs) that haven't been ported for Mac and I don't see there will be any changes in near future in this, so we need to rely on what the support availablility pages are listing as supported OSs, e.g.

There is a version of Developer Studio 7.31 for... | SCN

Thank you for your understanding an Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I saw those threads quite some time ago, but the thing is: I don't understand why SAP is not considering a release for OS X. I mean, I do understand that, from a historical point of view, SAP started with Microsoft's operating systems. However, I believe that there is also a group of professionals who would like to have 100% compatibility on their OS X Systems.

Moreover, if SAP ports the application to OS X, it would attract a different (potential) group to their products. The company has many employees, so I guess the resources are already there.

Is there any technical explanation of SAP, that states why they are not choosing to port some of their applications to an also much used operating system?

And of course, thank you for your support, I appreciate it

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Zakaria,

I'm afraid I won't be able to answer the non-technical aspects of your question (e.g. developer resources). What I can do on the other hand is that I forward your feedback to my colleagues.

Best Regards

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I'd appreciate it if you did that. Could you keep me informed of the status?

Thanks for the help Ervin

0 Kudos

Hello Zakaria,

we are considering to ship NWDS for other OS than windows. Unfortunately we cannot give you any details as to if at all, when and how we will actually do this.

We really appreciate your enthusiasm about a Mac version of NWDS. But for various reasons, including legal aspects, we cannot say anything else about it instead of that we are thinking about doing this.

Best Regards,

clemens

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Zakaria,

as promised I forwarded your request to my developer colleagues, see their statement above.

Thank you, !

Thank you for your understanding and Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clemens,

Thank you very much for replying. Now I know that I could perhaps be expecting a version for the Mac. I know that you maybe can't tell me this, but what do you recommend to me? Should I use NWDS through a virtual machine, or should I consider waiting a bit longer for a mac version?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Zakaria,

I am glad if you found my answers Helpful.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Answers (0)