cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to take data from standalone tables in data foundation layer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I saw this data foundation layer wherein there are fact and dimension tables joined. However there were so many tables at the bottom and they are like standalone tables , they were not joined to any other tables. My question is what is the use of these tables if they are not joined to any other tables , how we take data from these tables? 

Thanks

Shweta.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have just picked this image from internet just to clarify my question. The tables that are highlighted are the ones I am talking about.

Thanks,

Shweta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you create this data foundation or did someone else create it?

Standalone tables (or ophan tables) can be used in queries but it's up to the Designer to define their usage and role in the business intelligence requirements.

Thay can be use as reference for creating derived tables or as parameter tables.

They can also be used to create list of values only.

There are plenty of use cases that are depending on the business context.

Can you elaborate a little bit more on your requirements?

Didie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply Didier.

No I haven't created it. I just copied it from internet.

I am learning SAP BO and I saw this data foundation so wondering if its not joined to other table then whats the use of it.

So they are called orphan tables? Is there any document from where I can get additional information about it?

Shweta.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sweta,

There are a lot of documents or blogs regarding universes available on SCN or outside.

I suggest that you read this book I have co-written with 2 SAP colleagues: https://www.sap-press.com/universe-design-with-sap-businessobjects-bi_3412/

Didier

Answers (0)