cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe connection error IDT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys

I have recently promoted a universe from Prod to Pre-prod.

But for some reason my universe is still pointing to prod when I run queries in the query panel.

When I go to the dfx layer and try to change the connection, I get an error saying:

When I try to change the table qualifiers from prod to pre-prod, it just does not let me do that . When I change the connection and click ok , nothing happens until I cancel it...

We are on BO 4.1 SP3...

Any clues why?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185165
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nutty,

Please make sure if you have created a 32 bit odbc driver connection(DSN) the MSSQL in the prepod environment. Once you have done that, it should appear if not restart the sia once.

Let us know if his solves.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do I have to create a 32 bit or 64 bit ODBC connection?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nutty,

Make sure its 32 bit, since IDT is 32Bit,  and what kind of driver you used?

And let me know where is your IDT and DFX is located? is it your machine or Server?

if its your client make sure you have installed and used your odbc driver as latest SQL native client , not the sql server odbc driver.

PPaolo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Nutty,

the IDT machine is using the 32bit ODBC driver while the server machine is using the 64bit ODBC driver.

You need to make sure that:

+ on the IDT machine you have a 32bt ODBC DSN pointing to your pre-prod and prod database.

+ on the BI Platform machine you have the 64bit ODBC DSN pointing to your pre-prod and prod database.

Make sure that on both machines you have the same DSN names when conneting to the same database (e.g. 'pre-prod' and 'prod').

If you have those 4 DSN correctly set up then everything should be fine.

The local CNX on IDT will use the local 32bit DSN and the CNS connections will use the server 64bit DSN.

Hope that it helps

REgards

PPaolo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pari

MY IDT and DFX is on client machine.

How do I make sure my ODBC driver is using latest SQL native client?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nutty,

If you have installed SQL Management studio in you system. You will get SQL Server driver , Microsoft access driver, .....etc. in your driver list as it is in the image.

You might miss SQL Server native client. if you did not install sql server  managment studio with client tools,

still you can download and install the SQL Server Native Client11.0 as seperately

My advice is since its your client machine creating the connectivity with SQL Serer DB , you must have have SQL native client Connection instead of SQL server connection.

Make sure 32 Bit driver.

C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe    below wizard will pop up,

instead go through control panel use this above option.

create a User DSN only.

According to my understanding

you have connected to both repositories and you have retrieved production universe to your local project and from there you are trying to change the connection at client machine before you publish it to the Pre-Prod repository.

check both server ODBC names again.

there wont be any mismatch in your client system ,, if you are already using client machine IDT to edit and maintain your universe in past and exporting to the production.

or if you are just using your client system first time to retrieve the universe and export, you have to check all these three locations.odbc,,

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys

Thanks to all of you for contributing and sending such invaluable information. I have now resolved this issue as MY server machine was using 32 bit Pre-prod connection! So recreated a new 64 bit connection and a 32 bit connection on my client machine.

Working like a charm now...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the database version for both prod and pre-prod?

Do you have supported middlewares installed for pre-prod as well?

As per error message, middleware is Microsoft ODBC. Are you using SQL Server as database server?

Can you connect to the pre-prod server directly bypassing IDT?

What happens if you create a new project and create a new connection for pre-prod? does it work or gives the same error?

Regards,

Yuvraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yuvraj

Its SQL server 2012.

Yes we use ODBC as a middleware.

I found a strange thing, when I create a new connection in the new project, I gave my pre-prod user credentials , and in the data source name dropdown option, it does not give me the pre-prod DSN so I typed it manually and it gave me an error saying  'Datasource name not found'

But when I kept the same pre-prod user name and password and selected production DSN, it worked...

How is this possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

you do not  create the connection firstly in the local area IDT

1. you create the dsn in the pre prod.. as i mentioned below and test, if its successful DNS then,

.Go to IDT create the connection inside the pre-prod repository .. connection ---    create connection..   --- with the Ms SQL server credential. if that ODBC DNS is tested successfully, it will appear in your IDT relational connection wizard data source name.

2. Now only you create shortcut to your machine (local area.) under the same project name which is already containing production universe.

"  *****   But when I kept the same pre-prod user name and password and selected production DSN, it worked...

How is this possible?    ****"

Nutty :  anyway its same SQL Database right?  pre-prod user name means which one?  anyway for the connection you are using SQL server Db username password ryt?