cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reserve sample created

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm running into an issue and hoping someone has seen this before.

We want to print out two labels, one to label a container, (box, bag, vial,etc.) that contains material for QC samples that are destroyed.  A second label to label a container, (box, bag, vial, etc) that contains the material for reserves that is simply stored on a shelf in a retains room.  To create the labels we have to use a sample drawing procedure.  The two labels are different as the reserves label has "Retain Sample" printed on it.  The person pulling the samples determine the qtys to pull for each based on SOP's.

We first simply defined a fixed primary sample of 1 and a reserve sample of 1.  No problems. Labels come out.

But, when posting the QC samples, if sample size is for instance, 1 ea, but testing calls for 20 ea to be tested, we get an error when posting to QC samples in the UD screen that the sample size is exceeded. This causes problems because the postings are automated via interface and error message sometimes comes up and sometimes doesn't which causes a failure.

We then increased a visual inspection sampling procedure to be 100%.  This worked great.  The inspection qty was the full lot for the one primary sample and we can post any qty.  But because the entire quantity of material is committed to the primary sample, the reserve sample doesn't think there is any available and doesn't actualy create the reserve physical sample anymore.

The only solution we have found for this is to use a percentage in the sampling procedure of something like 90%. That leaves material for the reserve.  But now, in the inspection lot, the inspected qty for visual inspection, the value shown is only 90% of the full amount even though the entire shipment is subjec to a visual check.  This doesn't look right.  It seems to indicate that for a shipment of 100 EA, we only visually inspected 90 of them.

Everything would work great if the reserve sample was calculated first and the 100% inspection was done on the reminaing qty.  But it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Craig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Sampling procedure and physical samples are something where I am always a bit stressed. Just a quick check - did you tried checking manual sample creation, instead of automatic background sample creation? Please can you share your feedback on that.

Thanks,

Arijit

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The sample calculation is automatic.  For all purposes, the actual calculated quantites are not really important.  They aren't really used by anyone.  What is important is that we can post an unlimited qty, (up to the lot size - 1), against the sample qty line and that we print one physical sample label and one retains label.

Craig

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

I am a bit curious to know if you already got an answer to your issue. Is so please can you share it with us for our knowledge

Well, I couldn't found out any better answer than proposing -

a) Activating Sample calculation as Manual in Material Master [QMAT-MST]

b) Try creating physical sample for reverse [Tx - QPR1], for insp lot - without copy model (may be)

c) Manually assign Inspection plan to the inspection lot. Sample will be calculated in background. Use 100% sampling procedure this time.

Not sure if this is going to help you or not, but I believe your feedback will at least help us correct our understanding!!

Thanks in advance,

Arijit

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've not yet found a suitable, automatic solution for this.  😞

Manual sample creation might work but not suitable for us.  That would be a lot of extra overhead for the employees with the number of lots they'd have to process.

At some point I might submit this to SAP.

It could be simply resolved by SAP by creating the reserves sample first.

Craig