cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages-Disadvantages of HTTP Adapter Vs Siebel Iway Adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Forum,

Wld like to know the advantages and disadvantages of HTTP adapter Vs Siebel Iway Adapter exclusively in the integration of SAP-Siebel. Till now in the Dev environment we were using HTTP for Async Interfaces and iWay-Siebel for Sync Interfaces and now client insisting to switch over to HTTP adapater even for Sync Interfaces. In that case we will not be able to monitor the HTTP adapter right!, how to over come this problem? any inputs!

Awaiting for you valuable suggestions..

Thanks & Regards

Message was edited by:

Vijaya Lakshmi MV

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

><i>In that case we will not be able to monitor the HTTP adapter right!, how to over come this problem?</i>

You will be able to. If you get a checquered falg on both the inbound side and outbound side of your message in SXMB_MONI , it implies that the message is successful and has been posted to the target system.

As the HTTP adapter runs on the ABAP stack you use SXMB_MONI itself to monitor the message. If the parameters in thw HTTP adapter is incorrect the message will error in MONI itself.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhavesh,

That I am able to check in the MONI, but if XI fails to send the message to Siebel, then how do we check? and where do we check?

regards

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Like i told if the message cannot be sent to the Siebel system from the HTTP adapter you will get an error in MONI itself. If you Siebel application has been able to proecess the data is another point , but if the message is successful in MONI data has been sent to Siebel and if it is in Red, then data has not been sent.

Do this,

In your asynch interface, make the url is the HTTP receiver adapter as some incorrect one and then see if you can see an error in MONI. You will see the same message in MONI with the red falg.

regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhavesh,

I got you, but my problem is here in my system MONI is showing success and still it is not reaching target system.

Can you plz throw a light, if the messages are 40000+, then wht wl be performance?

I feel HTTP may not be adequate to support such huge quantities of data.

regards

Message was edited by:

Vijaya Lakshmi MV

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If it is successful in MONI message has been sent to the target.

The best way to convince the client is to use the TCP Gateway tool to show that the data is sent from XI to the target system.

Look into this blog to understand and use tcp gateway tool to prove things working from XI,

/people/stefan.grube/blog/2007/03/29/troubleshooting-soap-http-and-mail-adapter-scenarios-with-tcpgateway

What is the duration of these messages and are they synch or asynch?

40000+ asynch messages are not an issue at all. If it is a synch call then maybe you should consider clubbing these messages as one message etc, but asynch messages i have seen more than 100000 Idoc's processed by our XI system in production in less than 1 hour.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhavesh,

There is a requirement (Rate Change Orders) to raise potentially 40000+ Orders in Siebel and then transition them across to SAP. This may happen periodically. This is a synch interface. I dnt foresee any problems with asynch, i am kinda worried abt synch.

regards

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hmm.. to be frank, my exposure to real time synch scenarios in terms of load has been limited.

The scenarios i have seen using synch calls have been using SOAP adapters and these run wth around 100 runs everyday and we never face any issue.

But, more than a synch vs asynch, the disucssion here is whether to use HTTP or Siebel Adapters. I have not worked on any Application adapters but wouldnt the application adapter also at some stage use the same http over soap protocol to talk to XI?

Have you found more on how the Siebel adapter technically communicates between XI and the Siebel application.

If it uses SOAP over HTTP as well, then I dont think using Siebel Adapter will provide any siginifcant perfromance, but once again these adapters have been developed for some specific reason and if you can let us know what is the difference between the Siebel adapter and using HTTP adapter maybe we can understand the issue better.

But, from my experience so far, I would say performance on the righ thardware etc should not be an issue for 40000+ synch calls as well.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Thanks once again for all your inputs, will get back to you with my understanding.

regards

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Its always a pleasure to read interesting and have meaningful discussions like these.

Do update us on what you decide and the reasoning behind that.

Regards

Bhavesh