Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distributed Content Server and DMS in PPM 6.1

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

As I am configuring and customizing PPM 6.1 server, I find getting confused between Distributed Content Server and DMS.

My understanding is that if DMS and PPM are integrated, then PPM uses the content server of DMS (for doc storage)

Why would we then need Distributed Content Server separately?

I found following thread however it does not explain the need for Distributed Content server in addition to DMS.

Cfolders Content server storage clarification | SCN

Following is explanation in config guide for both

DMS -- If you are using document management (DMS) in Project Management, you can manage documents there and exchange them within Project Management and with cFolders.

Distributed Content Server -- Files are stored on a single content server; files are transported between the user's browser and the Project Management WAS, but stored on the CS

We have DMS and PPM in our scenario for a small to mid-size customer and do not have global sites in the scenario.  I am unable to figure out if we need to also use Distributed Content Server? Pls. explain difference and necessity of each or if one overlaps the other?

Regards,

Ashwini Pingle

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ulf_petzel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashwini,

DMS is the backend Document Management capability in SAP ERP. Technically, below it for the storage of the files, content servers are used. In your case, it seems that a single local content server is sufficient. Only for global corporations with distributed teams a distributed content (and cache) server architecture there makes sense.

Now, key question for you is actually where you want to store documents. If you are in a completely in-house scenario, definitely you should directly reference documents stored in SAP DMS on SAP ERP, with a single content server.

Hope this helps,

Ulf.

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Perfect!! Thanks a lot Ulf.

Regards,

Ashwini 

Answers (0)