Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound Proxy Error Handling with Forward Error Handling

sridharreddy_kondam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

We are sending multiple records(Batch) to Inbound Proxy from SAP PO.

1) Can any one suggest what is the best approach to handle the errors that occurred for some of the records, when processing in the proxy (Its a ZTable/ZBapi) We want to have a mechanism where we can use restart facility for that particular record.

I have seen Forward Error handling document

Please let me know if any one has used this feature and is this better approach to handle the errors instead of writing to a file and reprocess in other way. Do we need to have any add on for this or we can use in ECC by configuring as mentioned in the blog by michael ealrier?

Or Is it better to use file approach and inform ECC team to pick the file and process at their side?

Thanks and Regards,
Sridhar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar

IMHO, using file-upload interfaces is so old school and last century! The ABAP/ECC team will have to develop their own mechanism for error handling.

There are so many error handling frameworks in SAP, and if you do not go for Proxy/FEH, at least go for IDocs which is still very popular due to it's stable framework. I would avoid direct RFC calls, read my rant blog below:-

Coming back to your question, FEH is free to use (unlike AIF which needs additional licensing). As a matter of fact, a lot of SAP's pre-packaged Enterprise Services use FEH for it's error handling. If you want to have custom FEH proxies, it will need additional work (configuration, development). Additionally, you can explore the following framework that I have developed that enables easy development of custom FEH interfaces.

Regards

Eng Swee

sridharreddy_kondam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

Thank you for quick reply. Yes correct file based approach is old fashioned,Wanted to propose the same to the project, before that wanted to check how EFH works. Due to short time we are having, and much work, unable to read the blogs that are already in place.

Your quick reply especially with your blogs (custom proxy which i was actually looking for) will be really helpful for me to suggest for the design. Just checking your blogs that are shared and will come back for any quick suggestion.

Thanks and Regards,
Sridhar

sridharreddy_kondam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

One small clarification, If we have incoming message with multiple records (Batch), say 100 records and 5 failed in that message, does the error that is created can be created as 5 different messages for PPO to edit? or do we need to need to edit 5 messages and reprocess all the 100 records?

Please suggest, and i am going to inform the ABAP team to further analyze at their side.

Thanks and Regards,

Sridhar

Message was edited by: sridhar reddy kondam

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar

Apologies for the late reply as SCN connection has been a bit patchy lately.

If you perform mapping-based message split (multi-mapping) in PI, it would split each record into separate child messages to be sent to the proxy.

All the child messages will be processed independent of one another in the proxy. Only those that fail will trigger FEH and be registered into PPO for further action. Each failure will be a different message in PPO.

This allows you to perform error handling easily on just the failed records.

If you don't perform message splitting in PI, there will be just one message in the proxy, and if you want to reprocess that message, there will need to be additional ABAP logic required in the proxy to figure out which records failed and which record succeeded in order to just retry those failed one.

Regards

Eng Swee

Answers (0)