cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria Configuration Policy Schedule

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone

We have a situation at a client where the use of cloud services is restricted and therefore we have to use the Afaria schedule capability to force devices to actively poll the server for any policy updates instead of being able to push the policy updates via GCM.

During testing I have set the frequency of the schedule to every minute (as close to real time as possible). However when we go live we will be deploying 2000 devices and I was wondering what would be the impact on the Afaria server if 2000 devices connected to it every minute for updates?

Is there a better way to do this based on our clients restrictions?

Regards

Riaz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Riaz,

I would not set the connections to every minute.  Every server has limitations based on available resources and 2000 a minute could easily overcome your server's capacity.  The server will stop responding to requests and the clients will not be able to connect and get updates if this happens.

How often do you anticipate updates?  How long realistically can a client go without current data?  My recommendation would be to schedule the devices to check in a few times a day if acceptable, and randomize the start times as well to prevent all devices from attempting at the same time and overwhelming your servers.

This wiki Best practices for scheduling device connections - SAP Mobility - SCN Wiki may help you with your process.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Tracy Barkley

Sr TSE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy

Thank you for the advice. I do not anticipate updates on a very regular basis however the client would like a near real time schedule but i will explain the impact of this decision and suggest a randomized check in every 6 or so hours.

As a side note - do you know what impact the 'priority' setting has on a configuration policy? I notice you can set it to a number but i'm not clear on how it affects the policy.

Thanks for the best practices link i will check it out

Regards

Riaz

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Riaz,

I am very glad I can help.  As for the priority, session policies and configuration policies both have the setting.  By default, the policies can run in any order.  If the administrator has a need to always have a policy or set of policies run first, this priority can be set to cause that to happen.

Tracy

Answers (0)