cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidelines for functional estimates in Sd pricing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

is there a guide/ table to see the common estimate for a functional developer to maintain configuration? For example, time to create a pricing procedure?

Thanks!

joanna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor

I don't think that such guide exists.

The estimation in time/effort for completing a task depends on its complexity and the person's skills.

These vary too much to fit them in any form of table/document and provide meaningful/reliable/useful information.

Even if you have all the information on company requirements (which is rarely the case), it can vary between minutes (copying an existing procedure with minor changes) and days (new conditions, formulas, requirements).

An identical task can take an inexperienced person several days, while it may take a couple of hours, if it is done by somebody who has a deeper knowledge on the subject.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am just guessing about the reason behind this question...

Sometimes functional consultants need to provide a rough estimation for a change request, which may or may not be performed in full by the same person.

Unfortunately this is not an exact science and in addition to time for the specific customizing activity you need to add the time for updating the project documentation, potential handover sessions, administrative tasks for processing the transport request, support for QA testing, etc.

It could happen that these additional and often underestimated tasks take 80-90% of the total time to implement. So in case you are the person that has to calculate this time, make sure to consider them as well - otherwise you risk to be way over budget and not deliver on time.

If you are new to the company, it can be useful to check how long it took your colleagues to implement similar change requests - at least for the administrative part.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, TW, Veselina,

Veselina Peykova wrote:

I am just guessing about the reason behind this question...

That is what I am trying to guess, why does he want to calculate the time, is he trying to evaluate performance on the basis of time. Or is trying to gauge himself.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Apart from what you've been suggested above by Ms. Veselina, would like to add few things:

It's only You who can make an estimate to complete any task which has been assigned to you based on your level of expertise and skills at functional side like as an example you've asked for the time to create pricing schema so for some it's a game of few hours and for others this might'll take couple of days, even if you're new to this you've the urge to learn and explore things then i can bet you on this you'll be able to do it in a short span of time. Do enough RND and last but not least struggle hard it's the only thing that keeps you get going

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joanna Marc

Could you please share the business requirement for which you require such information and what would be the resultant if you had such information.

Thanks

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anwer, Jonna,

If you are starting out in SD pricing, thinking about time an activity may take, is not the correct way forward. Learn the theory, be clear in what are the configuration steps, what does each object mean, where you would need a developer's support.

When you exhibit this clear thinking to a client or in an interview, then this will lead you to success.

For now, leave the time estimates to the PM or the lead. Yes, you have to gauge roughly how complex could the business need be? and for that your standard SD pricing knowledge will be the cornerstone.

TW