cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are default entries changed or removed from list of values?

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a possible universe setup issue. When using Webi (either rich client or InfoView) in BO XI 3.1, when a user adds a filter for a certain set of objects an entry appears at the top of the list of values that says [EMPTY_VALUE]. I suspect that this was setup to capture those records with blanks and/or nulls in the field. Unfortunately whoever set this up also put some HTML code in it, which causes the query to fail (see attached).

If I look at the object's list of values entries from within UDT this [EMPTY_VALUE] entry does not appear, I just see a blank line at the top.

How can I find where this is set up? No one at my company seems to know.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kieth,

Do you want user to only Select values that are available from  list or they can have values other than the available options.

regards

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Niraj,

It not that I'm trying to control what the user can add to a list, but rather that I've got this entry that seems to be added to a list that I need to change or remove.

Thanks,

Keith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith

Did you "Keep the last values selected" option on? This is mostly done for the end users convenience. If you don't set any value, the last values are automatically used.

Also try to refresh your list of values in WebI and check if your entry [EMPTY_VALUE] disapears.

regards

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,

"Keep last values selected" was checked, but removing it did not seem to change anything. When I refresh the values in Webi the [EMPTY_VALUE] comes back with the refreshed values.

Keith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith

Looks like you got an empty String "" as a value in your supplier dimension. An empty String seems to be treated as [EMPTY_VALUE] and be included in your WHERE clause of the generated SQL query to refresh the report.

Your SQL should look something like: [...] WHERE SUPPLIER IN ("")

Please check your generated SQL in the WebI report and make sure that your empty entry for supplier is valid. Should there be an empty entry for supplier at all in your dimension?

regards

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that is basically what the SQL looks like, and we do have some empty data in the file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I'm trying to find out is where the conversion is stored that substitutes ("") for [EMPTY_VALUE].  Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith

In the WebI prompt any empty String "" will be displayed as [EMPTY_VALUE]. I guess to show the user a comprehendable text instead of an empty value, which would not display anything. The generated SQL is correct and will display the suppliers with the name of an empts String.

Anyhow, I would recommend to remove the empty Strings from your file or database table. As I mentioned earlier, what is the purpose of having a supplier with the name ("")?

hope this helps

regards

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,

My problem with the [EMPTY_VALUE] string is that when it is selected the value that is used is:

<font color=gray>[EMPTY_VALUE]</font>

When this is used with the In List operator the SQL fails. I want to find where this is stored so I can remove the HTML code. You can see this in the attachments I put on the original discussion.

Thanks,

Keith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

My suggestion is to edit the LOV of the object to remove nulls so that there wont be chance of selecting this null and getting EMPTY_VALUE string in your HTML code.

Right Click the Object--> Properties-->LOV--> Edit --> SQL --> select distinct supplier name from table

where supplier name is not null or supplier name <> ""

--> check the option "Do not generate SQL before running"

Save and export.

This will avoid showing null values in LOV of your prompt