Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting SAP HANA BW with PowerBI

garayaka
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

So for the past couple of days, I've been trying to establish a connection between SAP BW and Microsoft PowerBI. I'm establishing the connection between the two systems using the driver (HDBODBC) provided in the HANA Suit.

Using the connection provided in PowerBI I was able to establish a connection between the two systems. The user used to create the connection was a DB level user created by our BASIS consultant. This use has sa access to the DB.

I want to stress on the fact that application level users couldn't connect to this so we had to create a DB level user and connect tot he DB Server of HANA instead of the Application Server of SAP BW.

The problem occurs when I try to browse and view data available in HANA queries, Composite Providers and Cubes.

I want to know if there is a configuration/authorization that has to be assigned in the application level to rectify this error?

Thanks in Advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Isuru,

You're using DB users to access BW data which is owned by SAP<SID> DB user (well... normally). Accessing that data through column views (calc views/analytic views/ etc) will likely require analytic privileges.

If you generated those from HANA Studio  (migrating BW objects to HANA) there's a good chance there are missing analytic privileges (generated from the migration) on the user you're using for this query .

Running the same queries directly on HANA Studio would reproduce the same issue in that case and if that's the case you can find out what's missing by following the documents below:

Runtime Authorization Check of Analytic Privileges - SAP HANA Developer Guide for SAP HANA Studio - ...

Resolve Errors Using the Authorization Dependency Viewer - SAP HANA Administration Guide - SAP Libra...

If you're not sure about which queries are sent to HANA you can record a SQL trace from the HANA side and try reproducing them again.

I hope that helps.

BRs,

Lucas de Oliveira