Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI integration with Lotus Notes

itabhishek9
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi SDNites,

I have a scenario where I have to read the attachements from Lotus Notes via PI and store this attachment in a diff location. Can you please let me know,

1. Is integration with Lotus Notes possible.

2. If yes which adapter should I use to achieve the same.

3. Is there any difference in this as compared to reading the attachment from Microsoft exchange server.

Regards,

Abhi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

itabhishek9
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Praveen / Jens for your repsonse.

In my scenario, due to sercurity issues, we will not be enabling IMAP and POP3 features in Domino server. Webservice and REST API seems to be promising options. Can you please let me know if there are standard webservices / REST API available which I can use in PI to extract the attachment from Lotus Notes.

Regards,

Abhi

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I did Notes development in former days but now being to far off to claim that the below holds true, so take with a pinch of salt:

Webservice:

I think you will need to get in touch with a Notes developer who knows the database and which attachments (if not any) you are interested in. Then the developer probably need to convert the binary to a stream, maybe convert to base64 to provide the binary data within the web services itself.

I think Java would be the better choice for this because of (built in or importable) converters e.g. for base64.

Have a look at this tutorial. The basic concept isn't too hard to get: IBM Notes and Domino Application Development wiki: Web Services: Creating your first Web Service pro...

REST:

Sorry, but haven't used that and being too far off Notes for a while now.

Cheers

Jens

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

>>>>>1. Is integration with Lotus Notes possible.

Yes

>>>>2. If yes which adapter should I use to achieve the same.

You can use Mail adapter

>>>>3. Is there any difference in this as compared to reading the attachment from Microsoft exchange server.

There is no difference, you can still read the mails from lotus notes using IMAP4 or POP3 protocol.

Regards,

Praveen.

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In addition to Praveen's post, please note:

• that in Lotus (IBM) Notes, every data is stored in so called documents. An Attachment is a binary (blob) within that document
  • Every document can be sent as an email in Notes, or can be put in a mailbox for pickup with IMAP or POP
  • That way you could use mail adapter (probably your best bet)

If you have more structured data, say some proprietary Notes App (former known as "database") where data is stored in different fields and an attachment is complementary, you might also have a look at providing those data via Webservice (Lotus Notes/Domino 7 Web Services) or via REST (IBM Notes and Domino Application Development wiki : IBM Domino Access Services 9.0.1).

You then consume that data accordingly via PI (SOAP or REST adapter)

Oh, and while the above was all triggered from SAP PI, you of course may do things the other way around and consume a web service through Notes which is provided by SAP PI.

Cheers

Jens