Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading 10.2 to 11.2 use of Shared Home

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

According to sap note 1778431 - SAP Installations using Shared Oracle Homes we can make use of Oracle Shared Home.

However it talks about fresh installations of SAP.

Can I during the upgrade of 10.2 to 11.2 switch to use Oracle Shared Home?

What would I need to do to accomplish this?

I'm trying to kill 2 birds here so to make it easier when we upgrade to 12c and to make patching/maintenance easier plus regain some disk space as a result.

Thanks

Craig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is no one able to help me?

Thanks

Craig

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Criag,

How ever if you choose to select shared oracle home with one or more database you can install fresh installation. for upgrade 10 to 11G  the DBSID need to be same. while you perform the oracle upgrade using DBUA method it will ask for source and target home with DBSID.  For new installation with multiple database which is not going to affect because its only upgrade the oracle files with new file-system.

Thanks,

Brindavan M

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brindavan,

Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying it is possible?

Thanks

Craig

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Yes, it is possible if the DBSID same with multiple database which shared oracle home.

Thanks,

Brindavan M

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brindavan,

Sorry maybe it's just me but I'm still not quite sure what you mean.

Say I have 2 SAP Systems on the same box, each with their own DBSID.

So environment variables show as :-

SAP System 1

ORACLE_SID=ABC

DB_SID=ABC

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ABC/102_64

ORACLE_BASE=/oracle

SAP System 2

ORACLE_SID=ABD

DB_SID=ABD

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ABD/102_64

ORACLE_BASE=/oracle

How would I use the shared home feature with a new directory /oracle/RDBMS/11204

Environment variables would change for each DBSID so

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ABC/112

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ABD/112

I'm aware that the installation of 11g will be as new, but as far as existing SAP Systems are concerned do I need to do anything in order for them to use the new shared installation?

Is this sufficient for existing installation upgrade :-

$ setenv IHRDBMS /oracle/RDBMS/11204

$ setenv DB_SID ABC

$ ./RUNINSTALLER -shared -install_home $IHRDBMS -db_sid $DB_SID

$ setenv DB_SID ABD

Sorry I am quite new to this and want to get this right.

Thanks

Craig

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

If 

DB_SID=ABC

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ABC/102_64

ORACLE_BASE=/oracle

SAP System 2

ORACLE_SID=ABC

DB_SID=ABD

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ABD/102_64

I think you have two oracle home that means oracle binaries files as well two database instance. for oracle upgrade 10G to 11G you need to run as you mentioned.

Having two database instances running from the same ORACLE_HOME does not prevent one from being . It may, or it may not, make sense to actually create a second installation of Oracle into another ORACLE_HOME. Need to keep clear in your mind the difference between the software and the database.  If you want upgrade the system this two system with single server then no need to runinstaller two times.  if the oracle installation existing in two oracle home files then  you can export database structure and data -files for one database using  Manage template having option in DBCA method for exp : ABD and then upgrade the oracle using DBUA method For example 10G (oracleABC/102_64 )  to 11G (/oracle/RDBMS/11204)  then create the database with exiting one(ABD) using manage template option.

Thanks,

Brindavan

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brindavan,

Yes there is indeed two database instances and 2 separate oracle binaries.  I am trying to make patching easier and reducing the amount of space require by only having 1 set of binaries shared.

If I do the shared oracle home for the first one ABC at want point do I run DBUA and which does it affect?  Presumably only ABC.  If so what happens if I then (assuming ABC was successful) run

$ setenv DB_SID ABD

I am assuming the above simply installs the binaries in a shared home if not already installed, but what does it do or put in /oracle/ABD/112 is this simply a symlink?  I am assuming that I will still need to run DBUA against this SID.

Thanks again

Craig

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

If you have two database instance and two separated oracle binaries. Then you have to run the installer two time and two new filesystem need to create like "oracle/ABC/11204" & Oracle/ABD/11204" for upgrade. If you run the shared  oracle ABC then only this database has been upgraded not ABD.

$ setenv DB_SID ABC

if you create sysmbloic link also and try to connect "oracle/ABC/11204" to oracle/ABD/11204 no use. because when you call the oracle then it will connect the ABC database instance only.

about the space it wont take more 12 GB for upgrade for each oracle home. If you want to make the single oracle home and two database instance then follow the previous method which I mentioned.

Thanks,

Brindavan

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brindavan,

Thanks for your advice but that isn't how I understand the sap note.

SAP Installation Standards for Shared Oracle homes

The following SAP standards are recommended for SAP installations with a shared Oracle home.

DatabaseRuntime Oracle Home for database <DBSID>
OHRDBMS
Shared Installation Oracle Home
IHRDBMS
<DBSID>/oracle/<DBSID>/112/oracle/RDBMS/<RELEASE>

Example
This is an example with 3 databases C11, C12, C13 for release 11.2.0.3.

DatabaseRuntime Oracle home
<OHRDBMS>
Non-Shared Oracle Home
<IHRDBMS>
Shared Installation Oracle home
<IHRDBMS>
C11/oracle/C11/112/oracle/C11/11203/oracle/RDBMS/11203
C12/oracle/C12/112/oracle/C12/11203
C13/oracle/C13/112/oracle/C13/11203

This isn't what it shows.  They share a common installation home but each have a runtime home ($ORACLE_HOME).   As per the Oracle Upgrade guide there is a symbolic link from /oracle/<SID>/112_64 pointing to /oracle/<SID>/11204.  So with that I am assuming the shared is simply /oracle/<SID>/112 pointing to /oracle/RDBMS/11204.

Also there is the option to not even specify a specific database SID.

You can use the RUNINSTALLER option -no_db_sid to install a shared Oracle home without reference to a specific database <DBSID>. This shared Oracle home can then be used at a later point in time.

Which is fine but my concern is how does the upgrade work?  If I do one at a time as a test and upgrade what does it actually upgrade?  The installation oracle home which is now shared is at the latest release, the database however hasn't yet been upgraded so I am making the assumption that each and every DBSID moved over to the shared installation home will need DBUA running against it.

Sorry to be such a pain but I am trying to get this right before I start doing anything.

Thanks

Craig

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Let me clear first this.

The standard SAP oracle home to "/oracle/<SID>/102 which will have symbolic link to "/oracle/SID/102_64". so oracle home and binaries are reachable in both location. During upgrade new file-system need be created like /oracle/SID/112 and then symbolic link will be "/oracle/SID/112_64 , once the new installation done in this location then the upgrade will start with using DBUA method. Two types of method  you can use it while running the runinstaller it will ask for source(/oracle/SID/102 and the target will be new file system ((oracle/SID/112 and the symbolic link /oracle/SID/112_64) for upgrade, the old oracle home 10g can be removed once the upgrade done to 11G or you can upgrade later after installation of 11G oracle and run the DBUA to upgrade 10g to 11g.

oracle shared home mean that oracle binaries will share to one filesystem to another one with multiple database instance. I believe  already explained about shared home.

in your case if oracle configured like oracle/ABC/102 symbolic link to /oracleABD/102 then no need to run the installer twice. for upgrade just go-head with /oracle/ABC/112 then made symbolic link to /oracle/ABD/112. if two oracle home has been separated two fileystem and act differently then you need run the runinstaller for each need to perform upgrade.

kindly check the below link oracle upgrade 10G to 11g will help you.

I hope now you got some picture..

Thanks,

Brindavan