Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -- Item is display only; related project currently being edited

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am using browser for PPM.

I have an item which creates a project (PM) automatically - exactly as specified in config guide.

After editing project, I close the browser window and open the corresponding item for editing.

However I get an error message "Item is display only; related project currently being edited". If I open the project again, it shows me in a non-edit mode since "it is already open".

How does the system register the close of project screen (or any other PPM screen)? It seems like closing browser is not the same as closing the PPM screen I was editing/viewing. Also I did not find any button which looks like a feature of "close" that particular screen. (hope i have explained the issue correct)

Pls. see screen shot.

Regards,

Ashwini

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

francesco_pezzoli
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ashwini,

I am not sure what you mean with "browser for PPM". Are you encountering this behaviour when using PPM in the Enterprise Portal, or are you using Netweaver Business Client (NWBC)?

In case you are getting this issue in the Enterprise Portal, but this is not happening when carrying out the same steps in NWBC, you should check if SAP Note 2021994 is applicable to you (i.e. are your portal support package and patch level listed in the note as being affected). One of the symptoms of the portal issue described in this note is that object locks do not get released when closing the portal windows.

Best regards
Francesco

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Francesco,

I access PPM using Internet 9.x browser using the following url (SAP Note 2026422)

http://<host>:8000/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/inm_workcenter_app?IV_APPL_TYPE=RPM&IV_OBJ_TYPE_R=RBH&IV_PORTAL_ROLE=RPM_PORT&IV_CONTEXT=WS&IV_SHOW_PORT_SETTINGS=X&IV_SHOW_BUCKET_SWITCH=X&IV_SHOW_SEARCH=X&WDDELTARENDERING=ON&IV_SHOW_PORT_SWITCH=X&sap-language=EN

As I understand, the above is neither Enterprise Portal nor NWBC - correct me if I am wrong here. (I am trying hard to remember how I got this above url:-)

After navigating and editing project from the above url, if I close the browser, expectation is that the project should not remain locked at database level. This was not happening earlier and project used to remain locked for more than 24 hours. So next time even if I accessed it from NWBC for desktop, I used to get a message that the project is locked by the user.

HOWEVER I AM UNABLE TO REPLICATE THE ABOVE BEHAVIOR NOW.

I also found the following in Migration Guide for 6.1 which I had followed and could be a reason why I am unable to replicate.

NWBC 5.0 for desktop works perfectly fine for the above scenario and no issues there.

Regards,

Ashwini

francesco_pezzoli
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ashwini,

The URL you are using is a workcenter URL, this is the URL which is generated when you launch the frontend WebDynpro directly from a menu in the backend (e.g. in the SAPGUI menu for your user role, or in transaction PFCG). I would recommend that you review SAP Knowledge Base Article 2114226 which mentions the problem with accessing the frontend this way  (though I do not think that this is related to the issue you were encountering concerning the object locks).

I was not aware of this issue with the browser popup blockers. Based on your description, this does sound like one possible reason. Another possibility however is that a long running process for some reason was taking 24 hours to complete. If this happens again, you can check transaction SM50 to see if there are any long running processes which are causing this behaviour. Transaction SM12 can be used to check the database locks.

Regards
Francesco

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Francesco,

This is so very much helpful. Thanks for KBA 2114226.

What this means is that the right way to access PPM is either SAP Portal or NWBC Desktop or URL (..../sap/bc/nwbc/ OR /sap/bc/nwbc/?sap-client=999)

Thanks again for SM50 too.

Regards,

Ashwini

Answers (0)