cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact to SAP MDG Implementation when more countries in the scope?

praveenkumar_kadi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to know your thoughts on impact to SAP MDG Implementation areas/effort (assuming we use MDG 7.0/8.0) when multiple countries participate in MDG tool on the same master data ECC system. Is there any impact in terms of process strategy, performance, data/UI model enhancements, Rules, replication etc.

For ex: I start with MDG implementation for one country and gradually increase the scope to multiple countries. I know one area it impacts is tax terms..It means that different countries will have different tax codes and there would be process model changes in MDG accordingly.

How about other situations where It affects overall MDG effort when we increase the no of countries? Is there other situations which impacts MDG Data model, process model, rules, replication etc..! Expecting your experiences in this regard.

Thanks

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Praveen

1. Before implementing MDG, you have to work on the organizational structure and the shared service model. MDG is mainly used for Governance and as you said Country wise there might be many differences. Based on the governance model and roles and responsibilities, you can design the structure. E.g Group of countries will be governed in 1 region. Then you can set up region wise roles and responsibilities and form the structure.

Its better to understand the entire business first, form the structure and then roll out for each countries or region.

2. Efforts of implementation is mainly based on org structure. You can implement for major countries and then rollout for others. Normally there are very few changes in data model as the master data across all the Countries is mostly same. Efforts required mainly designing the roles and designing the approval process. You don't have to change replication model if you have the same ECC box. You may have to add more CR types and roles based on the requirement.

Its better to design the governance structure before you start the implementation..

Kiran

praveenkumar_kadi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Kiran...!

Yes we are in that process to understand the business structure and determining governance process. It looks like process design is what determines the impact to MDG overall..Because data model, UI model, Validations/rules etc depends on each of the governance process model. I see the effort in terms of creating process variants specific to each country if I am not wrong.

My other question is even though MDG is in same ECC Box, we still need to replicate to other operational areas such as procurement, Quality Management, Finance etc. Because co-deploy model only makes ECC attached to it as replication free.

What if other country needs the data specific (For ex: Tax Code Master data) to their business sales.? Don't we need replication strategy here?

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Praveen

If you observe the data models in MDG, you can implement Customer / vendor / BP / Finance masters through SAP delivered data models. Any other masters needs to be implemented as custom models or you can add it as entity in any standard data model. In case of Tax code, it is configurable item and managed through ECC. You can govern them through MDG as well. It depends upon what all masters you want to govern using mdg.

As I mention before, its always better to have Global governance combining the Countries in same region.

Kiran