cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with Lumira (install / license)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm having some difficulties understanding the different installations & the limits of each type for SAP Lumira

our environment: SAP BW 7.30 SP10 / SAP BI Suite 4.1 SP6, licensed for all tools

Up untill now, we focussed on Webi & Analysis for Office, but i want to explore the functionalities of SAP Lumira a little. I downloaded "SAP Lumira, desktop edition" from SWDC and had it installed on a test-pc.

I don't want to go through the installation "SAP Lumira for BI platform" because our server-memory is not yet sized for it and we're not yet sure if we want to continue on the Lumira path.

Now my questions:

• Can i access my SAP BW queries in my current configuration or do i need the installation on the platform for that?
  • I seem to be in trial mode of the desktop edition, but as i mentioned we should be licensed to use it. How do i unlock this? I already tried entreing  the license keys i found in the CMC in the Keycode of Lumira, but no luck ("is invalid")

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lumira license is different than BI platform. Check with your SAP account manager about your license.

You do not need to install anything on BW. Once you have permanent license, you can download the extension to connect to BW from Lumira desktop tool.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You do not need to install anything on BW. Once you have permanent license, you can download the extension to connect to BW from Lumira desktop tool.

>> Are you sure about this?

I just found this document:, where towards the end it says: "The Universe Query Panel and Download from SAP Business Warehouse extension required for Universe and SAP BW access respectively is deployed with Lumira Server installation on BI Platform."

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Verakso
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tom

Here is my short answers to your questions

1. In the full version of Lumira Desktop you can, how ever, you would need to activate the needed extension. This is done by pressing CRTL+J to open the Extension Manager, and then select the SAP BW Data Acquisition Connector
  2. You will need a valid license for Lumira Desktop in order to unlock all the features. In trial mode you are basically only allowed to use Excel, CSV or TXT as data sources.
    The full version allows you to install a wide variety of other database connectors.

I am not sure, whether you current license also covers the license for Lumira Desktop, normally that is a separate license. Also as far as I am aware, the current versions of Lumira does not support OLAP connections to BW.

EDIT: I came to think, that if you go to the SAP Lumira site/SAP Store and download a trial from there, you could request a trial key, that would unlock the features you are trying to evaluate.

Message was edited by: Thomas Nielsen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas, i did not even had to request a trial key: in Lumira desktop, i just had to start the 30 days trail, which activatedit as standard edition, which indeed made the links to BW & BI available.

Still trying to understand to whole license model though and how this would work for individual users

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Re. Licensing see the  KB at this link:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/ 2268264

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter (#SAPLumira)

Got Enhancement ideas? Use the SAP Idea Place