Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find patch level ?

former_member207701
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello experts ,

I have some basic question my PI system is 7.31 SP 11 now what is this SP ? Service pack or support pak ? whats difference between these 2 ?

and also how do i find a current patch of a particular component lets say SOAP adapter's?

Thanks in advance.

Kiran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In addition to Inakis comment,once more link just for reference.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member207701
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for both your replies.

Now i am clear about patch and support package , however their is some confusion on service pack however will try to sort it out.

thanks again

former_member207701
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Both ,

Thanks for the link i have checked both of your links but the meaning of support pack  and service pack is same . now what is the difference between them which link i need to believe ?

Support Package Stack

• A Support Package Stack (SP) is a major collection of bug fixes and feature enhancements.
  • Each SP contains a collection of all the Software Components which make up the PI system.
  • A new SP is released approximately once per quarter (this may vary depending on the PI release).
  • Due to software dependencies all components of the PI system should always be on the same SP release.

service pack :

A service pack (in short SP) is a collection of updates, fixes and/or enhancements to a software program delivered in the form of a single installable package. Service packs are usually numbered, and thus shortly referred to as SP1, SP2, etc. It is notable that they may bring, besides bug fixes, entirely new features.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Kiran..correct.

former_member207701
Participant
0 Kudos

So it does mean that service pack and support pack are same its just the different naming convention right ??

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No Kiran,

See support package might contain fix to specific bug in some cases

Service pack is altogether with new features for example PO 7.4 SP 11 has Rest adapter with polling capabilties.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

My few cents, as Raghuraman said if you are in PI 7.4 SP11, before a new SP, SAP customers or SAP itself detect urgent issues that they can't wait to a new SP and therefore you can have several patch level, PL 0001, PL 0002 and so on.

When a new SP is released can have the corrections of previous PL SP's but sometimes not, even you can see corrections thorough several PI versions.

Summing up, you can have:

PI 7.31 SP 000 PL 000

PI 7.31 SP 001 PL 000

PI 7.31 SP 001 PL 001

PI 7.31 SP 001 PL 002

PI 7.4 SP 000 PL 000

PI 7.4 SP 000 PL 001

and so on.

Regards.

former_member207701
Participant
0 Kudos

so this is what my understanding is correct me if i am wrong...

support package as collection of bug fixes (like : adapters,esr etc.. etc...)

an a patch is something which is bug fix for a particular component (like for s sftp adapter)

service pack is something which comes with new feature nothing to do with bug fixes like a raghu told a additional of rest adapter to the existing pi system.

so whenever a new feature like say tomorrow we get a new adapter then SP-service level of PI has to be updated ?

and also the note which Iñaki Vila shared inform SP as support package and the link which raghu shared tells SP as service pack ?

current service pack version can be found in ESR , ID in help/system info tab and patch level can be found in nwa-component info what about support pack where can i find that version?

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

You can go to Administration link to find your current PI SP.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

It's the first time that i have heard the "Service package" concept, i knew the support package concept. Support package contains a set of new features (check this link What's New in SAP NetWeaver 7.4 (Release Notes) - SAP Library) and set of fixes (a new ones or sometimes a fixes included in past PL SP's).

Take into account that in one SP you can have enhancement only for example for the ESR, but all components in PI have to be in the SP level, even when the enhancements and fixes would affect a part of PI.

so whenever a new feature like say tomorrow we get a new adapter then SP-service level of PI has to be updated ?

It's usual as the Rest adapter but sometimes you can have an addon PGP encryption (), but they are available to install from determinated SP. In other words, a new feature or addon is the same for us the developers, we need a particular SP level, however from basis team perspective is different, because the addon is not in the normal SP installation.

current service pack version can be found in ESR , ID in help/system info tab and patch level can be found in nwa-component info what about support pack where can i find that version?

AFAIK in system information:

Hope this helps.

Regards.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good Infy Inaki.