cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMS Transport Configuration

0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

Our current Landscape involves 3 system Dev->Quality ->Production, each with its own transport Directory (/usr/sap/trans), we need to optimize the storage for which we have planned to create a common NFS mount point in the Development system and mount this across the production and the quality systems.

Could you kindly explain if there would be any impact on the landscape and  also let me know the changes that would be required across the systems with respect to the existing Transport routes or the current STMS configuration

Warm Regards

Shreyas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear shreyas ,

There will be no problem if you keep the transport directory same.

But sometime you might face issue with the "file in use error" which will  hang the transport .

With regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

0 Kudos

Hello Ashutosh,

Thanks for the quick reply, however my primary concern is the configuration itself, will i need to redo the Transport route configuration all over again or will my current configuration hold good

Also have concerns on the transport tool parameters as well, if there are any changes involved

Could you explain in detail the "file in use error" , you have said that the transport hangs, i am assuming the transport eventually would fail or the process would need to be killed, what is the impact and the RC for this .

Regards

Shreyas

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Shreyas,

You dont have to redo the configuration for transport. You only have to maintain two parameters in the default profile

1. DIR_TRANS = <path of the new trans dir>

2. DIR_EPS_ROOT is the directory where transaction SPAM finds the files containing support packages. It is set to: DIR_TRANS/EPS or DIR_TRANS\EPS respectively

DIR_EPS_ROOT is to be changed in the R/3 default profile.Just as DIR_TRANS, DIR_EPS_ROOT has to be set in the instance profile of an Windows-application server, if the central instance is running on Unix.

For reference check the below link

Best practices for configuring transport directory - Basis Corner - SCN Wiki

Could you explain in detail the "file in use error" , you have said that the transport hangs, i am assuming the transport eventually would fail or the process would need to be killed, what is the impact and the RC for this?

Check the last section of the sapnote

1541076 - Preliminary checks and troubleshooting for transport issues

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

0 Kudos

Hello Ashutosh,

Thanks a ton, i have gone thru the links and notes provided by you and they seem very helpful indeed.

However i have a query for the parameter DIR_EPS_ROOT

As per the wiki link Best practices for configuring transport directory - Basis Corner - SCN Wiki

Best practices for configuring transport directory - Basis Corner - SCN Wiki

i would need to set the DIR_EPS_ROOT  as

/usr/sap/trans/EPS_<SID_Dev>

/usr/sap/trans/EPS_<SID_Qual>

/usr/sap/trans/EPS_<SID_Prod>   (....for example)

in the default profiles of the respective system correct? this would enforce that no upgrades go bad   ?

Kindly revert

Regards

Shreyas

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear shreyas,

When you are running spam or SUM it will going to extract the .SAR file in EPS directory which is local to the system as per your scenario.

But all the logs of spam/saint/SUM update will be created in trans/log and trans/tmp folder which is NFS mounted.

So it might affect the performance of patching. To overcome the performance, you need to have good network throughput .

Moreover , during the patching you need to move the transport in other system as well which has to be done carefully because it might lock the files and as a result patching might stuck.

As per the best practise , before the patching Activity we need to move the trans directory to local system.

With regards

Ashutosh chaturvedi