Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Data solutions

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a request coming to me soon and just starting to do some investigations on how to, best practices and common problems with exporting data from SAP.

Let me setup the scenario,

Our SAP ERP sits on windows and SQL 2012.

We are using page compression, so our DB is about 300 gigs Compressed.

Our BI team currently get a monthly backup thrown at them and they connect it to their SQL 2012 and play with the data.

This was done because initially they had no idea what data they needed.

Now they are coming back with a list of tables and want that specific data. Currently on a monthly basis but in hopes of nightly updates.

So I started to read quickly and found multiple solutions for multiple scenarios,

Some people use PI or PO, some people use reports to flat files, some people use interfaces.

I'm wondering what you use, or would use and your experiences from this request?

Also read issues with SAP cluster tables.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

luisdarui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

It depends on what solution you're looking for. For a database I would suggest that if you have the list of the tables you want to replicate, you can use one of the SQL Server replication features:

SQL Server Replication and Types of Replication are the sources I would recommend for you to decide what is the best replication type you can use.

But if you're looking for other solutions like PI we have another space with experts in PI and PO that might give you better solutions than us, database experts.

Best Regards,

Luis Darui

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Luis, definitely a start.

Just off hand, how granular can the replication get? Is it full DB reps? can I specify certain tables only? And to push the limits, could I filter the table data? Example, only send a certain customer number data.

I got to read more.

luisdarui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

Yes, you can select the tables. The best replication type can vary from what scenario you have. If you want to replicate only the changes, then the transactional replication might be the best one. Merge replication might be more complicated due to the usage of triggers for example.

There are network bandwidth and latency also that should be taken into account when choosing one, but the Books Online link I gave you cover this topic.

Best Regards,

Luis Darui

Answers (0)