cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting characteristics without affecting any objects.

0 Kudos

Dear SAP Experts,

I am looking for the process to delete one of the characteristics with value from the Class, which is having Change no. and also it is linking with Certificate of Analysis (CoA) and Customer Batch Search Strategies (BSS). The deletion should not affect the other objects and should not go to inconsistency as well.

Please share the thoughts if anyone come across this kind of situation, it would be really appreciate for proper solution.

Thanks,

Srini.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nallapu Reddy Srinivasulu Reddy,

If i have been at your place , for a used characteristic i would prefer to hide it using precondition rather then deleting it. As it might be used in existing configuration or many open or close transaction document and deletion will lead to inconsistency.

Thanks

Ritesh

0 Kudos

Thanks Ritesh for you quick response.

But we are not using VC for my business, even though can i use precondition as you said?

If its is ok how do go about that, can you please advise me.

Thanks,

Srini

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Srini,

I always used it with VC only , so not sure. But as you can assign precondtion at characterstic level, give it a try it may work.

Please share results.

Thanks

Ritesh

0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

I am not so familiar with Constraints in VC, anyhow i will make a try. Can you please add the formula or syntax which you are using for deleting Charc. with Precondition.

Thanks,

Srini

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sure, lets try it out.

Assume you have characterstic XYZ_123 assign to yoru material which will always ahve value, and charactertsic PQR_789 is teh characterstic ypu want to hide.

Create an object dependency Hide , dependency type " Precondition"

Transaction CU01, input name HIDE , select type Precondition.

Go to dependecny editor and use below syntax.

NOT SPECIFIED $SELF.XYZ_1234.

Here characterstic XYZ_1234 can be a characterstic which will always be having value and it trigger the precondition to hide the characterstic PQR_789.

Once you complete teh syntax , check your syntax and save the dependency , make usre you chage the status to 1 ( release).

Now open your characterstic you want to hide in CT04 , in right you will find icon for object depedency  click it and input dependecny HIDE and save it.

Tyr out and reply.

Thanks

Ritesh

0 Kudos

Hi,

My requirement is to delete charac. in class, but this would not be possible with precondition. I have tried with your procedure mentioned above. But it can't possible.

Is any other way possible to do this.

Thanks,

Srini.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you tried the way i explain above ? what was the message or result you got at end?

Another possiblility is use ECM to phase out deletion in present date so that old characterstic will be valid for existing configuration but not for future. It will also take care of inconsistance.

Thanks

Ritesh

0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

I would like to hide this CHARC in CLASS, so i need to add this in object dependency, the message i have got "Precondition can't work for classes".

Thanks,

Srini

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Its correct you cant assign precondition in class. But as i suggsted in previous reply, please assign it to characterstic in CT04 , you can find icon for dependency attahced it there.

Characterstic will still appear and in class and you can see it in CL02 or 03 , but once the condition for precondition meet it will hide the characterstic from user. Its how it work with VC classes. I am not sure in your case as you are not using class of type 300.

Hope this information may help you .

Thanks

Ritesh

Answers (0)