cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A characteristic with more than 100 characters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to have a characteristic with more than 100 characters.

Thanks a lot,

Yael.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yael Barak,

By Standard ATNAM is 30 character only. Can you specify why you need so large characteristic name. Instead of using a long name or long description , you can attached a explanation of characteristic value in a document and assign document to value.

Check in CT04, under value tab you will find option to do same.

Hope it may help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Good to know something new.

I need long description for special instructions that I should send with material IDOC to production floor. All our characteristics are sent to production floor.

How can I maintain these kind of documents?

Or maybe you have another idea...

Thanks a lot,

Yael.

benjamin_paul4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Yael,

Ritesh is right - SAP offers already different possibilities to add documentation in classification.

You can create std document (CV01n) and link it to a class, a characteristic, a characteristic value.

You can also create a std text.

For example at char. value level:

Then if you send an iDOC, the description and the Std text will be sent. For the document I guess you need to send the document as well.

Hope it helps.

Benjamin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks a lot, but my need is to maintain long text (more thyan 30 char) for a certain characteristic, for a certain material. It meens that the std text in the characteristic is not relevant, but if I had the same option of std text for the specific characteristic but during value maintenance of material it would be perfect.

If you have any idea I'll be glad to know.

Thanks again,

Yael.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yael Barak,

Check with your technical expert or SAP support  if the filed length can be increased for it.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for the answer, but I don't think it's a question of technical issue, but if there is a standard solution for values that are more than 30 characters.

A friend from work suggested to use a characteristic with multiple values but it has pros and cons.

I thought to search for another standard solution...

Thanks a lot,

Yael.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yael Barak,

as and standard you have below options same thing suggsted in previous replies too.

• you can attached a explanation of characteristic value in a document and assign document to value.
  • You can use standard text
  • you can use multiple value characterstic

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know the optional values in advance, it means that the user put the value (free text) of characteristic through MM02, it means that I can't use the options of std text/assign document to value, but only multiple value, correct?

Thanks a lot,

Yael.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yael Barak,

Seems your question is still not clear, can you please also sepcify which class type you are dealing with and where in busniess process you do expect this changes in characterstic values.

At Material level classification is setup once and we dont see changes to it on day to day basis.

Characterstic value assignemnt happens for creating batches (022,023) or sales order (300).

Please check and reply. Hope it may help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all, thank you for the patient

We maintain classification for material, under class type=001 (through mm02).

When I assign a class to the material, in classification view, I get all characteristics that are part of this class and maintain it through mm02.

I would like to maintain free text, more than 100 chars, in one of the characteristics.

This free text is unique to each material, so I need to maintain it from classification view of a certain material, and cannot maintain this free text as part of the characteristic definitions (through CT04).

Hope it's clear now.

Thanks a lot,

Yael.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yael Barak,

You are welcome , please mark the replies helpful if it helps you. 

For you requirement i can see an multiple value characteristic will work fine, you can create characteristic in CT04 and choose additional allowed values instead of maintaining specific value range and then while maintaining material in classification view input your desired comments 30 characteristic per line.

Please check and reply.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My problem with the characteristic of multiple values is that if I enter a long text so it sort the lines accordind to the ABC, so I understood that I will probably have to teach my users to enter each line with 01, 02, 03 at the beginning so it will stay as required.

I hoped that maybe there is a possible way to enter a template with 0XXXXXXXX... for each line, but when I tried to customize a template I was able to do it only with format of UDEF (user defined data type) which is not supported and couldn't fine a way to define the number of characters for this data type).

Do you know how to do it?

Thanks a lot,

Yael.

Answers (0)