cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can SAP GUI Script /vba macro affect the performance of SAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

Good day!

I hope you can help me with my problem.

In our company, we are using SAP r/3. 740 final release for our Accounts Payable tasks like posting a lot of invoices and creating reports.

I am planning to improve our process by creating a macro tool from excel and connecting it to SAP with proper check points in place in order to not have incorrect postings in SAP. So basically I will be inputting details to SAP for our invoice postings and then exporting details from SAP for our reports.

My problem is, I do not have the access for the Script Recording and Playback option in SAP. Our IT team said that providing access for this option to the business end user might cause performance issues to the system.

Can someone tell me if using SAP GUI scripts would really affect the performance of the system?

I understand that automating tasks into SAP might cause errors in our data so please take note that I will be putting necessary check points in place for scripts that are going to input detail in the system.

Thank you so much everyone for your help. hope you could help me with this one.

Have a nice day! ^__^

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_schnell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vedette,

you can find the answer in the SAP GUI Scripting Security Guide, in the Q&A:

Can a script influence the system performance?

Yes. A script executes significantly faster than an end user, and may therefore put more load onto the system.

In my experience is performance not really a problem, because only a few user uses SAP GUI Scripting, not the most. If SAP GUI Scripting is no option for your company, you can use COM Connector (CCo) and RFC enabled function modules (FM) alternatively. The FMs can build by your development team. The disadvantage is the loss of freedom, you can "only" process what the function module delivers, but on the other hand you have a defined interface to the SAP system.

Cheers

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Stefan, for helping me out.

Maybe I could just raise to our IT Team that SAP GUI scripts will only be run by 3 or 4 people simultaneously, or maybe just by 1 or 2, and will not run for long hours.

If this is the case, any effect on the system performance will be minimal, right? or there could be no effect at all?

Thank you again. Have a great day ahead! ^__^

Vedette

stefan_schnell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vedette,

If this is the case, any effect on the system performance
will be minimal, right?

I guess, I use SAP GUI Scripting since a long time and I have never heard about problems with performance loss on the application server side.

Your IT team can restricts the using of SAP GUI Scripting in the RZ11 with the profile parameter sapgui/user_scripting_per_user, if it is set to TRUE. In this case any user who wants to use SAP GUI Scripting needs the authority S_SCR. This can be adjusted with a special role.

Good luck and success.

Cheers

Stefan

Answers (0)