Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External number range concept for MIC and inspection Method

ravi_bhushan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am bit confused about external number range setting and its behavior .

I have number range setting as below: 2nd line as external number .

But i am able to create MIC/method with name as test or any other name. is it correct ?

Thanks ,

Ravi Bhushan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

busyaban7
Active Contributor

Hi Ravi,

Please let me know if you have searched previous SCN threads related to this request. On all possible situations, please search SCN threads, as there are quantum of details already available.

To answer your query - No, that understanding is not correct. These number ranges for MIC means -

a) You will be able to create MIC with number range as "ZQM_TEST" or any other 8 digits alfa-numeric combination possible, and EXTERNAL number range will be selected to create such MIC. Also it means, you can manually insert a number like '00000001' to '49999999', and create a MIC in QS21.

b) You will not be allowed to create a MIC with number range as "50000002" manually, as this number falls within the "Internal Number Range" of '50000000 - 99999999' & system will throw an error.

Thanks,

Arijit

ravi_bhushan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Arijit ,

Yes I searched and got few links also. But my concern was that why system accepts external number  that is outside the range that is maintained through configuration . I was expecting the behavior of external number range same internal number range i.e allows number within the ranges but prompts if we try to input any value .

Thanks ,

Ravi Bhushan

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

There are many businesses, where MIC number added as external number, and has a quick meaning. For example, ZQDRIL01 - 99 are used for checking dia after drilling operations whereas, ZQMILL01 - 99 used for recording thickness after milling operation. SAP understands this as external number and hence it is allowed. All alfa numeric values upto 8 digits are allowed. For some other business, it gets MIC number created form MES/ PLM/other system and send to SAP via ALE. So they may have external numbers 00000001- 49999999 in SAP, as MIC 40000001 can be send later to SAP than 400000002 as the control lies outside.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,

Arijit

Answers (0)