cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

I would like to get more information about the MS-SQL database backup and restore, we are using HP OpenView Data protector software to make backup of database, I am performing the full database backup of SAP servers on daily basis, also, performing the transaction log backup after the full database backup made.

SQL transaction log file are beyond the 35 GB, full backup of database not reducing the transaction log file, Backup of Transaction log file has been reducing the size of Transaction log file.

I have doubt about the restoring the full backup,

Do I need to restore the transaction log file after restoring the full database backup?

Does restore the full-backup will be enough

Regards

Anwer Waseem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anwer,

It depends.

If suppose you need data upto say tonight 6:00 PM to be restored and you have a full back up of that date then no need to apply logs.

However if the last back up is for yesterday 5:00 PM then after restoring that back up you need to apply the logs in order to get the data stamp upto today 6:00 PM.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit

Transaction Log file backup has been recommended by SAP GoLive Check session. I was worry about the restore because i didn't not test the restore.

I am doing backup of transacation log file after the full backed of database, If do i want to restore the current backup, so i don't need to restore the transaction log after restore the full backup.

Please correct me in case of wrong.

REgards

Anwer Waseeem

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello Anwer,

Restoring transaction logs wont do any harm.

basically you have to look at the issue from this perspective. If your back up isnot up to the time stamp you need then you can do the restore of the last back up and then apply the logs. I mean this is the case when your back up is not of the desired time stamp.It is what you necessarily need to do to get to desired status.

However even after doing full back up restore you want to apply logs then also there are no issues whatsoever. Just some extra time. Nothing else.

Frankly I would also go by your theory. Please also visit this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/f2/31ad62810c11d288ec0000e8200722/content.htm

This reaffirms your point of view.

Please award points accordingly.

Regards.

Ruchit

Message was edited by:

Ruchit Khushu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos