Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Installation of S/4HANA, confusion

Bojan-lv-85
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out a smooth roadmap on how to setup a fresh S/4HANA on premise system.

I assume I was kind of right in choosing my entry point to be: help.sap.com/s4hana_op_1511

There I checked the "Getting started" Guide first where my path is roughly described as follows:

• Installation SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP 7.5 based on SAP HANA
  • Installation of SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition
  • Installation SAP Fiori for SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition
  • If needed: migration of legacy data

Assuming that I have a freshly installed NW AS ABAP 7.50 instance running on HANA installed, what would the next logical step?

Exactly: "Installation of SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition"

Which brings me to the Installation Guide from the help portal. This guide mentions the following under

6 Installation Process

The installation process for SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511 is described in the Software Provisioning tool guide referenced in the section Installation Documentation [page 8].

Checking the referenced section:

3 Installation Documentation

Table 2 mentions the following documentation:

Installation guides describing the installation of SAP systems based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and higher using the Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 which is part of SL Toolset 1.0. Make sure that you always use the latest SP version available at service.sap.com/sltoolset.

These installation guides are sorted by database. For the installation of SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511, chose the SAP HANA Database guide for your operating system (UNIX, IBM, or Windows).

Now to my point: This guide is actually only describing how to install a NW AS ABAP instance on 7.1 or higher, which brings me exactly to the point where I was starting at.

I am confused (and most probably missing an important point), but even more confident that some of you guys can help me out.

Thank you!

BR, Bojan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Bojan,

I have installed S/4HANA successfully in a SandBox environment via Monsoon https://monsoon.mo.sap.corp/ for training purposes.

These are the steps I use: *the first thing to do is create a Linux instance via Monsoon* then...

1. Read S/4HANA and NW 7.5 HANA/LINUX (which you already completed) gathered from help.sap.com

2. install required media from the Fiori Software Download Center and transfer to LINUX server

3. launch SWPM and select S/4HANA On Premise 1511 SR1 drop-down then ...

4. install an ABAP distributed system 3 separate instance installs (ASCS install, DB instance, PAS instance) or central system as just 1 instance install

***you can install a pre-made HANA machine via Monsoon as a separate instance and then just point to that HANA host in the S/4HANA DB instance install or you can install HANA yourself in another host which will need the HANA install media from SWDC***

5. log into S/4HANA via SAP Logon

6. perform post installation steps

I hope you were able to install S/4HANA already however if you have any other questions I will try my best to help!  Again - I only installed S/4HANA via a SandBox environment so additional steps would be included for DEV, QAS, and PRD.

-Garrett

Virinchy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bojan ,

You may also look at document   for step by step process in setting up an S4Hana system

Regards

Virinchy

Jochinnabathini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bojan,

Check Installation Guide

Hope that helps all your queries.

thanks,

JC

Bojan-lv-85
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Joseph,

thx but this does not help much. I mentioned in my initial memo that I have already checked the available installation guides.

I see that e.g. in the application stack "S/4 CORE 100" is mentioned but what exactly is that and where to get it?

Thx!

BR, Bojan

Virinchy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bojan,

S/4 core are the innovation packages delivered by SAP. Currently as of Q4 2015 Simplified Financials and Simplified Logistics innovation packages are included.More innovation packages will be included and delivered in future releases of S/4 core.

Please have a look at the video lecture delivered at Tech Ed last year for architecture and components used in S/4

Regards

Virinchy

Jochinnabathini
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bojan,

Here is the big picture, i hope this helps.

Thanks,

JC