cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetWeaver on Linux - X and Desktop on servers a practical requirement in Enterprise?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it common practice that every Linux server has X and a desktop Manager installed so that SAP tools that are GUI can be used on each?  We would like to reduce the footprint of each server as much as possible for obvious reasons and installing X with a Desktop Manager adds about 800 packages.   It also appears managing tigerVNC for multiple Basis administrators to remotely access the X desktop manager will be somewhat of a nightmare.  I've seen multiple how-to's out there showing the install using a GUI - it just seems somewhat shocking to me that this is a requirement on each server and common place in a larger environment.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

quick bump and question - Did I not phrase the question properly?  I'm quite surprised there is not a single reply.  Is it an "it depends" answer?  Would really like to hear anything anyone has to say or advise on this topic.

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would say it is not required to have X installed at the SAP server, at least for an ABAP system.

I guess that most things can be reached from a GUI started elsewhere.

For example, during an SAP upgrade, SUM can be started without a GUI at the SAP server and then you can connect to it remotely (e.g., through an internet browser) and start the SUM GUI at your local desktop.

I'm not sure about a Java system, though (e.g., they have the "config tool").

Regards,

Isaías

Answers (0)