cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personas Flavour migration from version 2.0 to 3.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have Personas 2.0 deployed on a SAP system (ERS which is ECC6-EHP4) & Personas 3.0 on another SAP System (ETS which is ECC6-EHP7)

ERS and ETS are two different SAP systems.

We want to migrate our flavours from ERS (Personas 2.0) to ETS (Personas 3.0), as I know for this Its mandatory to have both the version of Personas deployed on ETS first, but on ETS we have already deployed Personas 3.0 without Personas 2.0.

So do you think we will be able to now deploy Personas 2.0 on ETS ( as it already has Personas 3.0 deployed) ?

Please suggest the recommended approach.

Thanks

Ayush

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are planning to use the Personas 3 migration tool, then you need both 2 and 3 installed in the same system. Given your ERP versions, your only possibility is to do what you have suggested - install Personas 2 on your EHP 7 system - ETS. Then you would need to transport (or export/import) your flavours from ERS to ETS and finally apply the migration tool in ETS.

My recommendation, though, would be to at least consider the option of re-implementing your flavours rather than migrating them. Migration will convert your existing flavours as is. It will not convert the styling to use themes where possible - it will leave the styling embedded in each flavour. Nor will it convert the scripts to make use of the more powerful capabilities of Javascript in Personas 3. It will convert them to be structures and to work exactly as the Personas 2 scripts do. You will also have to do some manual clean up after the conversion.

When I did my migration I estimate the migration plus clean up took about a day, while a total re-write took about a week. That's a good investment of 4 days, in my opinion. The end result is much more maintainable than the migration would have been.

This may not be the right option for you, but I urge you to at least consider the possibility. The hands-on development time for a Personas project is usually quite short and so a re-implementation is not typically a huge task.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Steve.

Really appreciate your insight on this matter.

Our team would like to migrate the flavours instead of recreating them again, as it would take them significant time.

So now I have deployed Personas 2.0 Add-On SP03 on ETS.

So currently ETS has both the Personas versions 2.0 & 3.0.

I would like to ask you if I also have to do Post-Configuration for Personas 2.0 in ETS, or just the deployment of Add-On in 000client is sufficient ?

In Post-Config I have to copy from 000client to productive client 020, is all this necessary ?

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks

Ayush

Mohanraj
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To work with Personas 2.0, post config steps are necessary. Please complete it.

Regards,

Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your only purpose in having the Personas 2 flavours in the system is to migrate them, then you may well be able to get away without that config. I'm reasonably sure the migration process doesn't require it. Of course, Personas 2 won't actually work without it, and not being able to run the version 2 flavour in the same system might be a hindrance to the migration process. It isn't a huge amount of effort to do the config so I'd be inclined to go through the process and get version 2 working, just in case you need it. But I don't think it is strictly necessary.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mohanraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve, appreciate your reply.

what you said is absolutely correct, Migration process doesn't require it but to ensure that the flavours work without any issues I prefer to do Personas 2.0 Post-Config.

Thanks again for you help.

Answers (0)