Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Javascript should be enabled

former_member206377
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an Adobe form where there are few fields which will be hidden dynamically based on the content. I have written Javascript code for the same and the output appears as expected if i enable the Javascript during output.

However, when  I give a direct print out through a 3rd party tool that the customer is using for print outs, there wont be an option for the user to enable Javascript, as a result of which the fields are not getting hidden in the print out.

Please suggest some ways to overcome this issue.

I switched to Formcalc , but that requires enabling Javascript as well.

Thanks in advance,

Vasuki

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vasuki,

Interactive PDF forms (i.e. XFA-based forms) require Adobe Reader to be opened and will usually not work with 3rd party viewers as they do not implement the XFA technology. Due to this the only supported PDF Viewer for interactive PDF Forms for IFbA is the Adobe Reader.

Print output (i.e. flat PDF files create by the ADS) usually does not have this requirement and can also be opened by 3rd party viewers.

Regarding 3rd party viewers, please note that they need to correctly implement the PDF standard (it is an ISO standard that is available to 3rd parties).

ADS is configured to use a particular PDF version, like PDF 1.7 (depends on ADS/NW version), and hence the 3rd party tool needs to also implement this standard. You can check the PDF version if you open the properties for a PDF in Adobe Reader.

Long story short it all depends on which PDF version the 3rd party tool (completely and correctly) implements. It is often PDF version 1.4 which is fairly old but OK for preview for example.

That's why SAP and Adobe always recommend to use the free Adobe Reader.

Best,

Juergen

former_member206377
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeurgen,

Thanks a lot for the response. This happens for the third party tool as well as when printed directly from the archived documents.

A custom transaction has been built which will pull the archived pdf document and will be sent for print out directly. This does not give an option to the user for enabling the Javascript.

Let me know if you have any inputs on this as well.

Regards,

Vasuki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vasuki,

Are you using an interactive form? Not sure if this is really required based on your "will be sent for print out directly" statement.

For archiving you should not use an interactive document. Especially since as you describe you just want to send it to the printer.

Other users have implemented an interactive form to allow users to actively make changes (to data) and then render a flat print PDF for archiving and/or printing.

Best,

Juergen

former_member206377
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeurgen,

I made the form dynamic as i had some fields in the master page which were to be hidden if it were empty. Unless I made the form dynamic , the script in the master page was not working.

Now to resolve the issue, I have eliminated the scripting in master page by handling empty fields from ABAP and making the form static. I could resolve the Javascript issue after this change.

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.

Regards,

Vasuki

Answers (0)