cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPM - Defining an Alias - Why is this needed? Can we skip this?

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have started configuring PPM 6.1 demo system.

I came across the following in the Config guide (SAP Portfolio and Project Management 6.1 SP01)

Defining an Alias --

By defining an alias in the HTTP service tree (transaction SICF), you can call the application

using a shorter, mnemonic URL

My default PPM URL is http://sapdemo3.local.com:8000/sap/bc/nwbc/

My questions

1. Do we define alias just for a shorter (user-friendly) URL?

2. Can we skip defining an alias?

3. Can some provide me an example of what alias you are using with reference to URL I have given above ? 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ashwini,

As you mention a web server alias is typically a shorter name by which the web server address is known by.

This is used in transactions such as "Make settings for calling an SAP transaction" (Under Base System Interfaces -> Application object settings). Once defined here the user may then link under 'Define Object Link Types' a web server which allows for the navigation from PPM to objects such as PS Project etc. Practically then the user can from within the Item for example link to a related object such as PS project

I have seen some companies make the alias the same as the logical system name - e.g. DEV300 for a development system with client 300

I guess you can 'skip' this step if you are happy to use the web address as-is and if you do not wish to have your object links active from PPM to related objects such as PS.

I am not sure if the above helps you at all? Let me know

Regards

Charl

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks so very much Charl !!

So we need an alias for object  links  besides the small url !!

Regards,

Ashwini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Yes...but please note that for simply linking an Item to a PS project this is not required and by simply having linked your logical system and destination into the relevant object type (e.g. ORPMFIPRIJECT) you will have the ability to link to a PS project for example. The WEB alias in the context of object links provides the ability to open transactions in PS for example directly from the Item.

I am sure there are other applications for the WEB alias as well

Regards

C

Answers (0)