cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between data(structured) and document(unstructured) archiving?

rahul_gupta08
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can someone please write the difference between data(structured) and document(unstructured) archiving. Please explain customizing steps of document archiving and process of document archiving. I am very confuse in these two.

For data archiving I know the customizing and process.

Many Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Data(structured) archiving: When you create an invoice using TC - FB60, the amount paid, taxes, G/L, cost center it needs to be accounted for are saved in the underline database tables.

When a certain period reaches these gets accumulated to a large extend that it creates the performance problems. This data cannot be deleted as due to govt regulation they have to maintain the invoice data to refer to later.

So in order to deal with the problem the data is moved in to a different server called Archiving system. Which can be a file system, database or storage based.  

This Archiving server even though is an independent system it will be still connected to the SAP machine to access the data as before moving the data to Archiving server

Document(unstructured) archiving: Similarly, many times the paper(scanned)/email/pdf invoices or email communication about invoice amount had to be attached for TC- FB60 for further reference.

But the problem with this is storage space in SAP and to deal with it documents are archived in the Archiving system so they are connected to SAP TC’s while they are still stored in Archiving system.

Do let me know if you need any clarifications.

Thanks,

Kolusu

rahul_gupta08
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Kolusu

Thanks for the reply.

I am bit clear with these concepts, can you explain in terms of Customization which we do for archiving.

Please explain for document archiving only and try comparing with data archiving.

Many thanks for your effort.

former_member183148
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Rahul,

Configuring the business document, linking business object and content repository is common for both unstructured and structured archiving only document type configuration changes.

Please close this thread and open a fresh thread for disconnected queries.

Keep posting

Thanks,

Kolusu