Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance improvement with archiving

former_member201157
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

The question I have is related to Performance improvement with archiving.

system details:

SAP CRM: EHP3 FOR SAP CRM 7.0

Database: MSSQL 11.00.3513.00

WE are going to start SAP Data archiving in the system for around 7 objects identified from top 30 tables.

We are also using house keeping techniques to clean up unwanted data.

We are good with identifying the tables sizes etc before archiving.

so now with regard to performance , we want to identify , some KPI ex: avg response time (before/after)

we want to  take a note of these KPI before archiving

once archiving and reorg is complete,  we will capture new KPI and compare with old numbers, if there was any change.

Has any one done this task before?

Please provide steps to identify what KPI are primarily used to measure a system's performance ? and how to do it? (high level steps).

Thanks & REgards,

Satya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Satya,

First of all, archiving does not give you a guarantee to decrease the response time of the system. This is mentioned in archiving document also. Of course there could be some improvements.

If I were you I could take the ST03N values before and after archiving. Also space history of the DB will be useful.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

former_member201157
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Yuksel,

Yes I know that performance aspects with regard to archiving is a complex topic.

there is an article also on this.  I have taken some KPI's from DB02 , ST03N as well.

in the simplest terms , how would we co-relate Data base size to Response times , processing times etc? is there

for ex: if DB size is 1. TB then reponse time was xxx M/s

it would be interesting to know if someone has come across similar challenges and how they came over them

Thanks,

SAtya

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

luisdarui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

Much like Yuksel said it is not guaranteed to decrease the response time of the system with just archiving. You can get benefits like releasing database space (or file system space if you reorganize the database once).

For the KPI's about the database performance, I will suggest you to read Juergen's whitepaper in regards of 

The document is still applicable for 2012 and 2014.

In additional, please refer to the following SAP Notes that will surely help you in this task:

706478 - Preventing Basis tables from increasing considerably

1721843 - SQL Server: Database-related post-processing after freeing a significant amount of space

1238993 - Data File Management for SQL Server 

363018 - File management for SQL Server

Best Regards,

Luis Darui

former_member201157
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a LOT Yuksel & Luis