Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify material in order after quotation reference

Kaitlin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi.

I have a variant configured material that transforms into a BOM in quotation once characteristics have been selected. I can reference the quote and copy the BOM, both header and lines into a new sales order but once I do that the part numbers of the lines of the BOM can't be changed.

For those trying to figure out a reason here it is: in SO I intend to use other materials but I need to maintain the connection between quote and SO AND the new materials have the p/n derived from those already in the BOM - for instance from a XXXXXX material in the BOM I will need to actually have XXXXXX11 in the order - so referencing makes it easy to fill in the right data.

Can I do the copy/reference but somehow have the part numbers modifiable?

Thank you.

Kat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kaitlin,

it appears that either your business processes are very different to what I have encountered so far, or I have misunderstood you completely.

What is the benefit of using different material codes between the quotation and the order?

My understanding of a quotation is that you answer a customer inquiry on the possibility to produce/deliver a certain product with specific properties and specify the price and date range.

The customer agrees to order it from you, but then you decide to change the agreement and deliver something different.

Is this really a good business practice?

If there are different variants of a product available for ordering, I, as a customer, would expect to see them listed as alternatives, so that I can choose which one suits me best.

Another possible reason I can think of, is that you don't wish to give out some information on the exact product properties when you send the quotation to the customer and now you need somehow to determine the article codes for internal use...

Can you please elaborate?

Kaitlin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Veselina.

The equipment will be produced as per agreement(quotation) and will be leased, not sold. Since the real materials are transformed to fixed assets, on the sales order - consignment one - we use dummy materials just to keep track of the leased assets in stocks - there are more details here but I'm trying to keep this simple.

So, you may or may not agree/like to the above method but my question remains: can I reference a VC material with BOM from a quotation but later on modify the material in the following SO - using standard, non-ABAP method?

Thank you.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I created a QT document with some random variant material in my sandbox, then created OR with reference to the quotation, changed the properties for the material via the configuration details and this resulted in exploding with some new items.

Probably the setup is a bit different in your case - no idea.

In my case in VTAA Configuration = ' ', so I can still change it in VA02.

Of course, the actual material number codes of the exploded items are not directly modifiable via VA01 without a field exit.

Kaitlin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello.

The setup is slightly different: the variant determined in QT has to be moved unchanged in SO and no subsequent change of characteristics or re-explosion is wanted - but the reply I was looking for is in your last sentence: material code copied from a previous commercial document is not modifiable without an exit.

Thank you.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Probably it is not just the referencing... there are several factors influencing the input status of MATNR (including BOM explosion).

Some time ago I came across a very useful sap note explaining when and how in the standard system a specific field is ready for input - 208245 - Availability of fields in sales orders.