cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change default Incident SNRO from CRM_INCDNT to Z*

0 Kudos

Hi All,

When I replicate a new transaction type from SMIN into (let's say) ZMN1, by default SNRO CRM_INCDNT still being used in that new copied transaction type. I know that I can change the internal number range from (default) '01' to something else 'Zx'.

It is also clearly explained in this article.

However, I would like to know if I can change the number range object from CRM_INCDNT to another new custom number range that I defined. How can I achieve that?

Also, what is the impact (probably the the shortage?) if I use a custom SNRO compare to default SNRO assigned by SAP?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Dinivian.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Thanks Paul and Miguel for the comment!

I am new to this ITSM configuration.

The reason I raise this question is that I am thinking the chance of standard numbering object (either incident/ problem) range is running out by the time it is being used.

Again, it is new for me. But based on your experience how this default SNRO will sustain the customer need? Let's say if you are using one Solman system for multiple client as a ticketing system.

Best regards,

Dondi

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

the standard number range starts at 8000000001 (10 figures) and ends at 8999999999 if I remember correctly.

With this numbering, you can have close to 1000 million incidents in your Solution Manager system, if you use the whole number range.  There will sometimes be gaps, but in all, it will be close to 1000 million. If you get a million incidents a year (which is about 0% likely), you'd still get quite a few years out of the number range.

I don't think you are liable to running out of numbers for incidents, unless you process several times more incidents than all of SAP Support for centuries (If my math is correct)

Best regards,

Miguel Ariño

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dondi,

The standard number ranges can be defined with many sub-ranges and you have a ten digit number to work with. 9,999,999,999 seems like a lot of messages to me. Create sub-ranges by customer/transaction type such as:

Customer 1. Service Requests: 1000000000 - 1199999999, Incidents 2000000000 - 2199999999, Problems 3000000000 - 3199999999, Requests For Change 4000000000 - 4199999999, Change Documents 5000000000 - 5199999999.

Customer 2, Service Requests 1200000000 - 1399999999, Incidents 2200000000 - 2399999999, Problems 3200000000 - 3399999999, Requests For Change 4200000000 - 4399999999, Change Documents 5200000000 - 5399999999.

etc....

If you have many customers, make the ranges smaller such as 100000000 - 1100000000 still gives you a total of 100 million messages. If you have a multitude of customers, the sub-ranges can still be made smaller without issue I would expect.

You also can re-use the same number ranges for different SNRO objects like Incidents 200000000 - 2199999999 and Change Documents 200000000 - 2199999999. However, I prefer to keep each main transaction type with a unique range so you can tell just by the number what kind it is but that's up to you.

I really don't see any reason to try and get a custom number range working when the standard objects and ranges should suffice.

Kindest regards

Paul

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi All,

Sorry for late response and thanks a lot for your insight!

Regards,

Dinivian

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Please let me know if your query got resolved.

Thanks

Rishav

0 Kudos

Hi,

No, it does not solve yet.

Thanks.

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

Ok, Please let us know if we can help.

Thanks

Rishav

0 Kudos

Thanks for the follow up, Rishav.

As mentioned, my expectation cannot be achieved.

Further more, I do not see the relationship here for this SNRO object case with the financial accounting purpose.

Again, i do not found the satisfied answer yet regarding my query.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Dinivian.

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sure, as per my experience it will not be supported by standard functional configuration.

You may need to change the workflow for service requests at code level as well to whom Z* SNRO will be applied.

Lets see if anybody had any other opinion about the same. 

Thanks

Rishav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinivian,

You cannot change the Number Range Object for your custom transaction type. So if you copied SMIN to create your ZMN1, the standard, unchangeable Number Range Object CRM_INCDNT is also copied and used.

I assume when you created your custom Number Range Object ZNCRM_INC, you assigned the same Number Range Transaction CRMC_NR_RA_INCDNT? If so, it may be possible to create a custom Incident Transaction Type ZMNX manually instead of copying from SMIN and by assigning the same BUS2000223 Leading Transaction Category and selecting a ZNCRM_INC Internal Number Range you may be able to assign your custom SNRO for your custom Incident Transaction Type.

I haven't actually tried this to verify if it would work and this would require you to manually configure your custom transaction type since you aren't copying everything from SMIN, so is it worth it? Seems like a lot of customization when you can just assign different ranges of the standard SNRO object.

Kindest regards

Paul

Addendum. I tried to create a Z number range object using the same Number Range Transaction CRMC_NR_RA_INCDNT and it won't let you do that. What did you assign in your custom number range?

I don't see any way where you can link Incident transaction types to a different number range object other than the default CRM_INCDNT.

Message was edited by: Paul Maraijko

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Do you mean you want to change the number range for CRM_INCDNT , you can change that only thing you need to take care is the other number ranges should not conflict with this number range or subset of this number range.

Z* number range is not possible as of now.

Thanks

Rishav

0 Kudos

Hi Rishav,

Thanks for the comment.

No. It is not what I am looking for.

Let's say I created a new SNRO ZNCRM_INC.

Can I change SNRO of my new transaction type ZMN1 from CRM_INCDNT to ZNCRM_INC. If yes, how?

And is there any disadvantage of using ZNCRM_INC rather than the standard SNRO CRM_INCDNT?

Thanks.

rishav54
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No its not possible in standard transaction type or the customized transaction type you create a copy from standard.

It is not recommendable for financial accounting transactions.

Thanks

rishav

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

In 8 years supporting Solution Manager , I have seen people using different number ranges inside the number range object CRM_INCDNT, but I haven't seen anyone using Z number range objects.

You could test it and report your findings in the thread, it would be nice information for all the community.

Best regards,

Miguel Ariño