cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices - When should Data Aging be activated?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I am currently launching a S4 Hana project and I am wondering whether it is a good strategy to activate Data Aging from day 1?

My feeling is that it is better to do it initially to avoid subsequent impacts on the architecture, infra, and customizing.

Furthermore, it can allow very quickly benefiting from data volume reduction and performance.

Can you share your thought and tell me what the impacts of a subsequent activation are?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Best regards,

Pascal Morizur

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal.

No, you don't need to do it from the beginning.

I advice to read docs about data aging.

The aim of data aging to free ram memory from unnecessary data(or rarely used), and access to aged memory is slower then to ram and require special procedure (technical functional modules). It means that it reduces your report's performance if you put 'daily used data' to the cold area.

Ideally you need to find "golden middle".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aleksey,

Thank you for this first answer, I understand your answer and the puprose of data aging is clear to me.

But my question is more cost oriented because I want to avoid spending time and money for something that can be done early in my project: I fear that activating the data aging after Go live could generate some regressions or extra costs that could be avoided if it was done initially (business function activation, database setup, infra)?

Do you ahve any advice for me?

Best regards,

Pascal Morizur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal.

Basically, from Sfin point of view,  customazation doesn't require a lot off efforts (and costs)

And it's periodical procedure(let's say like archiving), so you can run it when you want.

But there are some bottlenecks - access to aged data. It could have high price for project(especially if you have a lot of customer programs from old systems like ERP6.0  )

That's why I strongly recommend read note 2170722 - Overview: SAP Data Aging for SAP Simple Finance (in this note there are some reference notes which also very useful)

So you, PM or smb else, should decide - include it in the 'main' project, or shift it for future, but anyway you need invest time and money.

According to me, you need at least 2 person  - 1st HANA/BASIS expert, 2d SFin/Fin/Abap expert who can dig deeply

Answers (0)