cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multispanning archive not extracted correctly by uncar - flat files with '\' in them!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I have a multispanning archive file consisting of one .exe file and two .rar files, downloaded from SAP, for my SAP HANA install.

The files appear to have downloaded correctly (from Windows I can open the exe file and it will start unpacking).

SAP advise that to unpack these on Linux to run 'unrar x 51048744_part1.exe' (i.e. the first filename, and the others will be included) - as per SAP OSS Note 886535 - Downloading multispanning archives (RAR archive).

However, it doesn't appear to correctly unpack these into sub-folders - instead, flat files with long names and '\' in them are unpacked, for example:

51048744\DATA_UNITS\SAP_HANA_SDA_10\packages\sda_mii_adapter\netprotadapter_mii.sh

51048744\DATA_UNITS\SAP_HANA_SDA_10\PRODLABEL

51048744\DATA_UNITS\SWPM10_IM_LINUX_X86_64

51048744\DATA_UNITS\SWPM10_IM_LINUX_X86_64\70SWPM10SP04_1.SAR

51048744\DATA_UNITS\SWPM10_IM_LINUX_X86_64\LABEL.ASC

This is incorrect, they should be unpacked into folders, i.e. 51048744, with a sub folder DATA_UNITS, which has other folders, like so:

51048744/DATA_UNITS/SAP_HANA_SDA_10/packages/sda_mii_adapter/netprotadapter_mii.sh

/ not \ !

Oddly, the folder 51048744 is created, but it's empty, with no other subfolders.

I thought perhaps I'd downloaded the wrong software, perhaps for Windows (what with the Windows-esque '\'), but this SAP install is for Linux only, and there is no alternative download.

Could unrar be at fault? It wasn't present on my Linux box and I had to source and install it. I tried installing another version but it was older and wouldn't let me.

Any suggestions?

Ross

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ross,

Just uncar the file on the window system and then move the file to linux server using winscp.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ross,

The correct way to unrar file at unix level is unrar e <file_name>.exe <destination_path>/

Note:  The trailing forward slash is required.

Check the sapnote

1536910 - How to extract multi-part downloads - Data Services XI

Regards,

Prithviraj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Think I will give it a go - however, when I tried to extract it on Windows it got to about 99% and then said it was corrupt!!

Meanwhile I'd downloaded HANA SPS10 instead to see if that would make a difference.

Exactly the same problem though.

I'll try extracting this one on Windows now....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh and it makes no difference where unrar e or unrar x is used, or whether a destination folder is used, the result is still 'managled' files that include the \ in them and no subfolders (well, there's one subfolder if I use option x, and it's empty!).

manish_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ross,

As you have already mentioned, it might be bad unrar also. If your windows option works then all good otherwise please try to download new extractor (unrar) and try that also.

Thanks,

MPS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wasn't sure how to uninstall unrar/install a newer version on Linux, however, I successfully extracted my HANA SPS10 download to my PC and then used Core FTP LE (rather than winscp, but similar thing) to FTP them across - all sorted!

Thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a guess:

It seems you transferred the files from Windows to Linux, using ftp, but with the wrong option.

It should be binary, not ascii.

Hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Josef... if that's the reason I'll be rather embarrassed as it's a 'schoolboy error'...! I'm not familiar with the FTP client I used and was expecting a 'ascii or binary' option at some point and then forgot about it - on closer inspection I see it was set to 'auto'. I'm trying again now in 'binary' mode and will see if it makes a difference!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately this wasn't the answer, re-transferred as binary and have exactly the same problem.

Could I have a 'bad' install of unrar??

Or more likely a problem with the download?

I will try downloading from SAP again....