cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific system refresh tasks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need to prepare a system refresh of ERP system on MSSQL database.

I've the tasks to realize before and after the refresh but I don't know what tasks I have to do into SQL server of development system.

Anybody can show/explain me this taks?

Many thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruben,

Do you have 3 systems (Dev-Qas-Prod) in your system landscape?

Or are you copying prod system to development in 2-system landscape?

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Yüksel,

On this case is 2 system landscape. We want to keep development like production.

Thanks

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruben,

Then if you follow system copy guide and post install steps (SM28, SE06, STMS Config, SLICENSE, SM59 Check, RZ12 check, RZ70, Kernel check ,  backup config, SGEN, check profiles, SM61 check, Check RZ04, BDLS, Check SCC4,)  you will finish the refresh of development system.

If there are integrations you must take care of them also.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Yüksel,

But I have to backup the PRD system and make the recovery over DEV??

Can I recover the PRD backup over DEV directly? I should take before some tasks preparations, shouldn`t?

Thanks

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruben,

Yes, you can recover your PRD DB to DEV directly but it is not enough for system copy.

It just copies the DB. You need to run SWPM to arrange SID changes etc.

As I mentioned you need to follow system copy guide.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben.

You have to follow the standard homogeneous system copy (either backup/restore or DB detach/ attach method).

Kindly refer the SAP system copy guide, refer the SAP link SAP NetWeaver Guide Finder

Regards

SS

luisdarui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yüksel and Ruben,

If you have custom development you need to treat Development system as a production, taking care of the backup strategy and high-availability (having to rebuild your development system due to a hardware failure can delay your project).

So it is not recommended to refresh a production database over the development unless you have finished the developments and already moved them to production.

Consider that if you replace a development database from production you'll lose dozens/hundreds/thousands of development hours.

Here in this thread there was a lot of contribution in regards of system copy with SQL Server:

http://scn.sap.com/message/16289218#16289218

This blog post from Matt:

Generally I'd say that the <database specific> part of the system copy is what make it different from others. The database copy is just a part of the system copy in general.

Generally the recommendations and documentation belongs to the software logistics team. They have a dedicated space where you can get most of the tips and recommendations you need for a system copy:

For SQL Server, I would say that go with backup/restore as this is a much better approach than to detach/copy/attach method.

Best Regards,

Luis Darui

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the mention Luis,

Ruben, I want to emphasize and add to something that Luis said. There are only rare and unusual circumstances where it would be a good idea to overwrite your DEV system with a copy of PRD. There are occasions that warrant it, but if it's just to make a better testing environment -- well, that doesn't cut it, in my view. Instead, you should create a new QAS system; that one you can refresh from PRD whenever you think it's warranted.

If you overwrite DEV, you not only lose any ongoing development or configuration that hasn't yet been released, but you also lose the version history of those developments. If later you need to revert a code change to an earlier version, or you need to simply highlight what changed between versions, you will need your DEV system intact to do that. PRD does not keep that history, nor does QAS; only DEV does.

If you have managed to get your DEV system so completely out of sync, configuration-wise, from PRD that overwriting it, smashing all that history, seems the only option, well, then maybe that's the trade-off you're willing to make. You are clearing the slate and setting a new "point zero" or starting line for all future developments. It's a big decision to make, not one made lightly, and all experienced Basis admins will push back against pressure from management to do such a thing. Argue instead for creating a dedicated QAS system and refresh that one.

If you do decide to overwrite DEV, you have extra steps to take care of with regard to your transport management domain. If DEV is your primary transport controller, which is likely, you'll need to migrate that role to PRD first, then migrate it back after the refresh is complete. Have a look at my document for some tips about that.

Cheers,

Matt