cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass transport for PO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PO experts,

We are doing our TCO rehearsal and have come to the issue that our PO transports have taken a total of 70 hours to be moved for about 500 transports, doing it one transport at a time.

For PO transport, is it possible to perform mass transports?

We would appreciate any inputs on this on how to do this for multiple transports. Thanks.

Best regards,

Philip

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sebastianleu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Philip,

your question raises additional questions before you can get a proper answer:

- when talking about PO transports, which kind of transports are you talking about

(BPM/BRM transports, ESR Transports, DIR transports, J2EE Transports, File transports)?
- Are you using enhanced CTS (aka CTS+) as consistent transport layer for all transports?

- On which Release and/or SPS Level are you?

- Which transporttool parameters are in place in the target system?

Since Java deployments are cumulative, it does not make sense, to overwrite deployments for a Scenario again and again. The enhanced CTS is helping here, but it depends a bit, how transports are shaped.

- When talking about 500 transports, how many scenarios/tracks are to be updated in your rehearsal procedure?

- In the rehearsal, how to you prepare the target system before it receives the transports? Is it blank, is it having old content, is it prepared as a system copy?

I know that I'm asking you a lot, but there are many influencing factors and this makes it easier to find a possible improvement for you.

Best regards,

Sebastian

pratik_gandhi3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Sebastian,

We are using SAP PO 7.4 Single Stack.

Could you please let us know, what is the best practise to transport SAP PO BRM development from one system to another when NWDI is not present?

Thanks & Regards,

Pratik

sebastianleu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Pratik,

when you do not have any deployment infrastructure at hand, it gets tricky when multiple developers are working for the same environment. You have to make sure that your changes are visible/available to your colleagues and vice versa. You could potentially use other repositories like git. Right now, I still would suggest only NWDI/CTS for the best experience. But things might change in the future.

Coming to your question about transportation: You can use your NWDS to deploy it directly to the J2EE. And you have to do it again for all following systems up to production. At the end you are more than a developer, you are a transport organizer/admin. And no one except you can guarantee, that the objects haven't been modified after import to DEV. I see this more like a burden than comfort/freedom.

Since this is a coding not developed directly on the DEV System, but externally on your NWDS environment, I would at least recommend to rely on CTS as a transport layer. Thus you can benefit of many features and functions NWDI uses from CTS. But you have to create manual transports in the transport organizer (for a dummy SID that then delivers the transport to a DEV system). Then you have to attach a deployable archive as a J2EE deployment file to the transport and release it. Such a file can easily be exported from NWDS. The CTS then can transport it to the DEV system using the deploy service. And then to the following systems in the queue without the chance of a modification of the transport.

A good knowledge base is . My favourite document to learn about possibilities besides the recommended path is . I know, it is quite mature but if you do not want to follow the standard recommendation, you won't find so much.

I hope this explains a bit of your questions. I usually set up such CTS landscapes with a dummy system for all non-locally developed objects (like XPI Inspector or 3rd party J2EE tools). This provides me a consistent transport layer for such objects. You will find out what I mean when you implement it

Locally developed objects (like Portal developments or PI developments) do not need the dummy system. They can make use of Close coupling Integration into CTS as described in the specific guides on .

Best regards,

Sebastian

pratik_gandhi3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Sebastian for very helpful information.

Regards,

Pratik