Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the "check-in" purpose?

sallyxu-cn
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DMS Guru,

May I ask what "the check in" does in DMS?

My understanding is without check-in Original, i.e. the lock is open, if the original file is changed, the file attached in the document here is also changed.

Please kindly clarify.

Sally

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sally,

Check in and Check out are two important operations in DMS. Initially when you want to submit the document say a drawing into SAP Content server, you will do check in operation and yes check in means locked. Check out is Lock Open,

Simple Ex. Designers A,B, C are sitting in different locations/different countries and they are all working colloborativiely. Person A will complete his taks, check in. Person B will check out and work on his part and Check in. Then finally Person C will check out and do his part and check in. This is how one  can use Checkin & Check out process in SAP. Hope this helps.

BR,

SM

ameya_beri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

The purpose is to upload the document into the content server.

Normally the file from local system is deleted and and stored in the CS once you check in.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ameya B.

sallyxu-cn
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amerya,

Basically I see the fundamental functionality of check in which are:

a. To save the document in CS

b. To reserve a file for editing

My further question is when I click "save", I am asked to check in.

How to change the setting? Because I am still in the middle of editing, I will come back to finish the editing when I will check in.

Thank you,

Sally

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Through this process you are assigning this file to a particular storage ctgy in DMS server. Here is some explanation: What is Check-out and Check-in in Document systems