cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions/best practices for rules management with (100 to a 1000+ rules)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I was wondering if you have suggestions or best practices for rules management where there can be 100 to 1000+ rules.

How have you approach this? By either creating multiple projects? Or do you add additional variables to the rules for filtering, if so what are they?

Am keen to understand, as I have currently developed over 100 rules and can see the repository growing into the 1000's as we tackle more data and want to ensure we have a solid foundation.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Adam,

Not there yet but it is very likely.  It would be ideal to have more rules that can be bound to multiple data items, however this is often not possible and you end up with one rule with one binding only.  You can create (a lot of) custom DI views to re-use rules like this but this reduces flexibility in being able to use a DI view for multiple rules and also limits the lineage as it does not go back to DI views at the moment.

If you use multiple projects then you can segregate information logically.  However, projects other than the Enterprise project do not appear in Metadata Management.  There are ideas around these limitations in the SAP Ideas space.

I'd suggest you define custom attributes for your information classification scheme (eg Finance, Works Management, Logistics), and another custom attribute or two to group rules if one is not enough (3-4 would probably suffice for a large number of rules).  Then associate each rule with the respective values and use the sort option (spanner icon) in DI to group by these attributes instead of the standards which is DQ dimension.  This will help but I see as you near 1000 that you still could struggle.

regards

Adrian