Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagrams in PDM not representing cardinality correctly

MountainKing
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've got a Logical Data Model, and I have generated a subset of it to create a Physical Data Model. I have attached screenshots of two simple diagrams (LDM and PDM) for context.

In the diagram of the relevant entities in the LDM, the RATING AUTHORITY GEOG RELATIONSHIP entity is shown as being the child of three other entities. In the corresponding diagram for the generated PDM, the RATING_AUTH_GEOG_RSHIP table is not displaying as the child anymore for the corresponding three tables, only the GEOG table. Hopefully this is clear from the attached diagrams.

However, when I click on the relationships between the tables in the model, the underlying relationships are correct, e.g. the PDM diagram shows RATING_AUTH_GEOG_RSHIP as the parent of RATING_AUTH, but the model has it correctly as the other way round.

Why would the PDM diagram not correctly display this?

I'm using PD 16.5.4.1 (4535).

Thanks,

Antony

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

It may be the notation of the model. You should try to edit the Model Options and change the notation box (you should have four choice : Relational, Codasyl, Conceptual and IDEF1X).

My guess is that the model has notation set to Conceptual.

Regards,

Marc

MountainKing
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

Yes, the notation for my model is indeed Conceptual - despite being confusingly named, it shows the crows feet at the many end, which is clearer than the Relational notation (that appears to be the default).

I have changed the notation to all three other options and the problem persists. I think I'll just regenerate a new or updated PDM and see how I get on with that!

regards,

Antony

0 Kudos

Hi Antony,

Just an idea, check the format of the reference link. It is possible to change the "endings" manually.:

HTH,

Gabor

MountainKing
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Gabor,

Thanks - that's probably my last resort if I can't generate the model correctly! Incidentally, I noticed that if I correct the notation as you outlined, it doesn't update if I change the notation under the Model Options.

regards,

Antony