Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted users in ABAP world

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've already read interesting post at:

During last year we have a new company auditor that ask us to stop to delete user accounts of resigned employe because they say that we miss some information... at the moment they haven't tell what kind of information... but, do you know any reason to stop to delete user accounts?

Thank you so much.

Regards.

10 REPLIES 10

martin_voros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

IMO the easiest way is to ask your auditor for clarification.

Personally, I do not think that deleting data in your information system is a good idea. I mean this in general, not just related to users in SAP systems. You never know when you will need those data.

I guess the main problem is that you lose a link between object created by user and user record. E.g. in some transaction you may be able to click on user to display more details about user. If there is no record for a user anymore then you won't get any details.

Cheers

Message was edited by: Julius von dem Bussche "not" added  🙂

0 Kudos

Hi Voros,

Just want to know if you mean't this way.

"Personally, I don't think that deleting data in your information system is a good idea."

Regards,

Surya

0 Kudos

Yep, you are right. I thought that it's possible to update comment but I can't find a button for this.

0 Kudos

Can I edit everyone else's post as well to say that deleting users is "not" a good idea?  🙂

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ganimede,

just to add to the previous (correct) answers: the first example which comes to my mind is archiving.

For example: SAP gives you tools to archive invoices, lists, etc.

So if you open an archived document later (e.g. due to end-year duties), and need further information, you can not see the responsible behind the archive, because ABAP user details have been deleted.

Of course, HR could give information who / where was working during the time *that* document has been archived, but what is an integrated ERP software good for if data are missing and you have to look around in other departments?

Other than that, inconsistency really should be avoided.

Best regards,

Laszlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

We never delete user accounts when users leave. Just remove all access roles and set the validity end date appropriately.

Why? The user name is recorded on most documents posted into SAP and being able to translate that to a real name is often helpful during audit processes. And sometimes our audit process can look back a while. We could, of course, keep the information elsewhere (excel, anyone?) but why, when we can leave it where it is needed. I imagine this link is the main concern of your auditors also.

There are other reasons, though. For example, some of our printed documents (or emailed PDFs, these days) have contact names/numbers on them based on the user that created them. If the user is deleted, the documents don't print correctly. This can be a problem when we take sales orders years in advance, for example. Yes, we can design around this, but in some cases this behaviour is really convenient for us.

Steve.

0 Kudos

Steve,

You can also just recreate the user if there are any questions/doubts down the road; the user details are all still there, ready to automagically reappear even after deletion.

Just another option.

Cheers,

Gretchen

0 Kudos

Of course, but I always want to avoid talking to auditors as much as possible. Giving them an opportunity to ask just one question is like opening floodgates:-)

But seriously, I don't see a downside to leaving them there, so why make work for yourself later?

Steve.

0 Kudos

No that I do not agree with you but sending contact details of employees that do not work for company anymore is not a good idea either.

0 Kudos

It isn't, I agree. And where possible of course we use generic details. In some lines of business, though, a "personal touch" works best. In such cases, when staff changes happen, names will change but telephone numbers typically don't.

Steve.