cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Log Files to Tape

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to backup my SAP system (MaxBD 7.9) to tape but I don't have any external backup tool. I have no problem in complete data backup since MaxDB is able to do complete data backup to tape. However, For log backup, I set automatic log backup to file. Is there any way to backup log files to tape which were generated by automatic log backup? I check on the backup template, there is no TAPE option for log backup.

Thanks.

Kris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kris,

Regarding your concern, SAP note 1377148 at point 9 explains:

1. b) AUTOSAVE LOG

The automatic saving of log segments is triggered directly from the database core. There is no upstream instance (for example, DBM Server) that guarantees the creation of a pipe. Therefore, automatic log backups to a pipe CANNOT be supported at present.

Tape should be the same.

Also at present, only file can be the medium for automatic log backup.

Best regards,
James

Former Member
0 Kudos

James Zhang wrote:

Hi Kris,

Regarding your concern, SAP note 1377148 at point 9 explains:

1. b) AUTOSAVE LOG

The automatic saving of log segments is triggered directly from the database core. There is no upstream instance (for example, DBM Server) that guarantees the creation of a pipe. Therefore, automatic log backups to a pipe CANNOT be supported at present.

Tape should be the same.

Also at present, only file can be the medium for automatic log backup.

Best regards,
James

Hi James,

AUTOSAVE LOG was only for backup the log area to files, For example, If I set AUTOSAVE LOG to file BAD_LOG, there will be files BAD_LOG.001, BAD_LOG.002 and so on. Is there any way to backup those files (BAD_LOG.001, BAD_LOG.002) to tape?

Thanks,

Kris

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There is no automatic way, but you can do this manually.

Or you can refer to SAP note 1377148 point 11:

11.How do I archive the log backup files that are generated?

You can use the DBM command ?archive_stage? to save generated log files on an external medium. You can use options to specify whether the archived files are to be compared with the original files for security reasons, and whether they are to be deleted at the original storage area after being archived. The archived log backup files are given their own external backup IDs and are entered in the backup history.

For more details about using ?archive_stage?, see the SAP MaxDB documentation (SAP Note 767598: "Available SAP MaxDB documentation").

Note the following:

Log backup files saved using the DBM command ?archvie_stage? to an external medium must be copied back to the file system from the external medium before being loaded back. A direct reload of these log backups using pipes, for example, is not possible.