cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Software Sales' Business Scenario in SD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to map a business scenario into SAP SD. The requirement is very similar to the business process of booking a SAP course in SAP Education.

The business process is as follows:

You initiate the order process by:

• Selecting a quotation from the standard sales screen
  • Referencing a contract
  • Entering a sales order

• Create a line item with the material number of the software product.
  • Configure the software if the material is configurable. You select supply, usage, and charge parameters, or other configuration options.
  • Determine the item category of the line item that is whether a line item is relevant for delivery or billing.
  • Determine the billing plan type, if required by the item category. If the item category for recurring charge is selected, a billing plan type is automatically determined.
  • Assign a serial number, also called the license number, to the software product, as a line item in the standard sales document. (Unique combination of material # and serial number)
  • The customer will receive an email confirmation. The serial number can be used as the unlock code for the software.
  • You create a delivery, if required by the item category.
  • You create invoices based on either the order or the delivery according to the item category.

What would be the optimum way to map this process in SAP SD?

I also want to know if Serial Numbers in SAP can be configured to be Software Licenses that we can use for product activation and warranty etc.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member212707
Active Participant
0 Kudos

This is a pretty standard business process for implementing SAP in companies selling Software products. You have pretty much mentioned the optimum way to implement it. Apart from the above mentioned set up. You probably will also deal with BOM for software packages and also running revenue recognition if needed.

I am thinking you will have to configure new order types, item categories, copy controls and other standard configuration. Master data management to differentiate licensed products from subscriptions.

Serial numbers generated in SAP can definitely be used to unlock the licenses/ activate the products etc.

Thanks,
Ravin