Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCo to OSISoft PI AF Server Connection

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have OSIsoft PI AF server 2.7.5.7166 on the floor and we are planning to connect it using PCo 15.0.5.2402, I have installed PI SDK 1.4 on PCo box.

The PCo will be sitting on MII server which is different from PI AF Server but on same domain.

My question is, since the OSISoft PI AF Server is different from OSISoft PI Data Server will I be still able to connect PI AF to PCo the same way as standard PI Data Server or do we need to connect it using OLEDB connection using additional SDK's for OLEDB or is there any better way of connecting these systems.

Looking forward for your valuable advise.

Regards,

Adarsh Sidnoor

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adarsh,

We just upgraded our PCo to version 15. Yes you should be able to connect to the AF server,  You just have to configure a different port # for the AF server from the PCo Management console. From MII, you'll have 2 data servers (PCOConnector) - one for the PI tags and one for PI AF, same connection to your PCO box but different port #s. At least that's how we've configured ours.

Hope that helps a bit.

Grizzel

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Grizzel,

Thank you very much for your inputs, I have couple follow up queries,

1) Can you please advise if you were able to connect PI AF using PI SDK or did you have to install any other SDK's in addition for configuration.

2) Previously I was under assumption that PI AF doesn't support tags so wondering how are you accessing the PI AF server within MII..can you please provide more details if possible on how you have made connections.

Pardon me, PI AF is fairly new to me so trying to collect more details.. any additional information will be helpful

Regards,

Adarsh

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Adarsh,

the PI-SDK is deprecated by OSISoft, so only install the AF Client. You need to install the version indicated in the PCo Installation Guide at http://help.sap.com/pco. Once you install this, use PI Explorer to defined the PI Server(s) that you will need to access from PCo.

Each PCo Asset Framework Agent can be configured to Monitor PI Points or Monitor AF Assets. this setting is in the Details Tab in the Working Mode section.

You will need to define a separate Asset Framework Agent for each PI Server and each Monitor mode, and separate Agent Instances for each Agent.

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adarsh,

Here are the steps on how we configured the AF and PI tag server to answer your questions:

1) We installed the following on the PCO server:

PI SDK version 1.4.4

PI ProcessBook

PI System Explorer

2) On the Plant Connectivity Management Console, define your source systems, in your case we defined 2 - one for the AF Server and one for the PI tag server. For the AF server, you need to enter the AF server name and we used PI trust.

3) Agaon on the PCo Management console, we defined two agent instances - one for the AF server and one for the PI tag server. For the AF server instance - on the Query Ports tab, check the SAP MII as the Port Type and assign the Port No (ex: AF is 9001, PI is 9000)

4) On the SAP MII - Data server, you create 2 PCo Connections - one for the AF server and another one for the PI tag server, it's almost identical connection strings but it only differs on the Port No.

There might be some firewalls that need to be opened up, and security accounts that need to be created for your agent instances to use.

No worries, I am new to it too and had to do trial and errors to be able to connect to the AF server.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions.

Grizzel

Answers (0)