cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personas 3.0: Will it be possible to split the screen in Personas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Personas 3.0 experts,

I have a requirement from a UI design, where the screen needs to be split into 3 horizontal zones - the upper zone is used as a "static area" to display the same result from a tcode (eg a work order), the middle zone will hold several buttons, and the lower zone will show the result when a button in the middle zone is pressed (eg, display a table).

Does anyone know if that is possible to split the screen in such a manner in Personas 3.0? Thanks.

Dong Zhu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just want to conclude the question - straight answer to this question is: No. We found a workround to use HTMLViewer to hold another tcode UI, but teh issue is that the two apps cannot communicate to each other. Close this one.

Dong

former_member105930
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Dong,

Ive been searching SCN and came across this thread and I wondered if you could share how you resolved this?

I have a requirement where I enter some information in custom fields at the top of my screen and based on this information I wish to go to a transaction, enter this information, execute and view the report. I would like to view this in one screen instead of viewing the results in another screen which sounds similar to your requirement?

Im assuming I use the session.callTransaction in conjunction with HTML view but am unsure?

thanks,

Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

We used SP02 so we had to add the data on the top area of the tcodes screens. HTML Viewver can be useful for Google map case, but for a tcode UI, it looks like you had two personas apps running together - unstable and confusing.

My thought for your case would be that you might have to copy you info onto the customised tcode UI if your tcode report has a complex UI. If the tcode Ui is simple, you might be able to fecth the result back to your screen instead.

Hope this give you some hints.

Br,

Dong

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushant,

Thanks for the info. They are very helpful. However, they are not the answer to what I am looking for. Basically, I am looking for how to implement a "static area" on a screen showing a tcode result ALL THE TIME while the screen can also show in the lower part the results from running other tcode, see my UI pic below:

Anyone have idea how to achive this using Personas 3.0? Thanks.

Dong Zhu

0 Kudos

Hi Dong,

I gave you those links so that you can get some tips on floorplans. Check them, specially the Object Page floorplan.

Static? Of course I can create same textboxes over 2 screen and fill in the entries using script. For end user, it will be "static" when going to second screen.

Sushant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sushant,

Thanks for the comments.
Some points I want to clarify regarding what I want:

1. In my picture the uppper "static" area comes from running a tcode, eg, iw38, but the lower part of the "Results Area" shows the data from another tcode, eg, iw47.
In your link it shows how to customise UI for ONE tcode only.

2. If I understand you correctly, you are saying I should customise both iw38 UI and iw47 UI so that they show the same upper area as if it is "static" to users while running iw38 and iw47. This requires that I should copy/fill data in those static fields.

However, I am here looking for the possibility that the customised iw38 UI can be kept in the upper area while the customised iw47 UI is shown in the lower part on the same screen.

In short, I want to show TWO customised tcode UIs on the same screen at the same time. Will this possible? Thanks.

Dong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you really want IW47 running in the lower part of the screen, or do you just want information from IW47 displayed in the lower half of the screen while still running IW38.

If the first, why is it important to have two transactions running at once? This is not what Personas is designed to do, and so you'll be looking at a solution that's a definite hack, like running the second in an HTMLviewer. Not that hacks ever stopped me, but you do need to be aware of where you are venturing

The second, just displaying information from IW47, is easy in Personas 3. You can use the "session.callTransaction" function to call IW47 and grab data from it without disturbing the current state of IW38.

What's the business requirement here?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

The business requirement is that users want to take some actions such as running different business tcodes and see the results in the lower part of the screen (here I just use iw47 as an example, it will be different business tcodes used in real life and the results can be some kind of tables returned). Such actions can be triggered by the button pressing in the middle zone. At the same time, users want to see the result from a special tcode (here I just use iw38 as an example) because that tcode UI will show some info that user need to see all the time on the screen.

If I cannot let the tcode result stay on the upper part of the screen all the time, I have to do exact the same customization for all the business tcode UIs which is not the best solution. Or, as you said, I have to "fetch" the data from other tcodes and present them in the lower part - which is also costy tasks to do. That's why I want to see while the tcode result stays in the upper part of teh screen, I can use the lower part of the screen as the dynamic content container for showing other tcode results.

By the way, I have tried the html viewer idea but onething I noticed is that when the html viewer displays the content of the url for a personas app, the screen slight flashes from time to time. Such flash is not seen if the url links to a web page.

Any other better solution? Someone said it is possble to do so but I don't know how.

Dong

Former Member
0 Kudos

That flashing is caused by the HTMLviewer being refreshed more often than you'd like. One of the downsides of that solution. There is currently no way to prevent that, as far as I know. It causes me some issues too.

If I was building it, I'd go for keeping IW38 as the "main" transaction and using callTransaction to copy data back to the lower part of the screen. That seems the simplest design, although as you say there is a non-trivial amount of work involved. But it at least keeps all the development work in one place, in the flavour for the main transaction.

The bottom line is that this is not something Personas was designed to do, and so any solution is going to have shortcomings, or be a lot of work, or both.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For your eyes only:

Method 1: use Page Builder will provide split screen where multiple personas apps can be run on the ame screen.

Mthod 2: I am tryng it now - use HTML View to launch another personas app inside on app. Hope it will also work.

Dong Zhu

0 Kudos

I would also recommend you to check our guide to make fiori inspired flavors:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/Img/Getting+Started+Guides

We will also release a video soon about this as part of productivity powerplay series:

Productivity Power Play - SAP Imagineering - SCN Wiki