Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant Configuration - Current User

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please help me out?

Is there anyway I can store the current user name in a VC characteristic?

Thanks in advance,

With best regards,

Sunil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you say

"Basically I want to use it to implement user level security in VC so that only a few people can <b>make changes</b> to a certain characteristic which will be based on their user name. & that is the reason why I want to store the user name of the current user in a hidden characteristic <b>automatically</b>."

When you are saying "make changes", do you mean change the values of the characteristic at run time? During the creation of the sales document? Or do you mean changing the properties of the characteristic as master data?

If it's the first, I don't think you can do it automatically. What I would do is to create a characteristic (not hidden) with the values for usernames from VBAK -ERNAM. Then I would create object dependencies that would specify if that characteristic is available for changes for that user. That however would be a manual process. The user would have to select their username in the characteristic value assignment screen and depending on the object dependencies they would be able to change or not change the characteristic.

If you want to do that automatically, I can only think of a utilizing a user exit that would populate the characteristic with the user name value, taken from the order header. I'm just assuming here, as I'm an SD functional.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sapsdvc Sapsdvc,

If VBAK-ERNAM is used as a reference characteristic, then that field would be updated with whatever value the user would enter in the Characteristic Assignment Value window.

If I understand the question correctly, Sunil Shetty is trying to store user names in a characteristic. I think that the place to do that is The "Other value check" button in the Values Tab

regards

Michalis Papadopoulos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys, thanks for replying.

Will VBAK-ERNAM only show the user who created the sales quote or sales order? I want to store the current user name in a hidden characteristic automatically.

Basically I want to use it to implement user level security in VC so that only a few people can make changes to a certain characteristic which will be based on their user name. & that is the reason why I want to store the user name of the current user in a hidden characteristic automatically.

Thanks in advance,

With best regards,

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you refer to Created By (VBAK-ERNAM) as the current user Name?

If yes, you can use the reference characteristics to get the info.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do you mean by current user?

You can maintain the values for users manually or you can reference a field in transaction CT04, in the Values Tab under other Value check. ABAP is not my domain but I think the field is ERNAM and the table is the order header VBAK (if of course you are using variant config in a sales process)